1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to My Therapist...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by staries, Jul 31, 2015.

1. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am visiting a therapist weekly, and I am not sure if she is a gender therapist. (In her specialties it said "Gay & Lesbian") and the main reason I visited her was to talk to a professional about my gender identity and sexuality without being judged or having to explain every little thing to someone. I have had one visit with her and am having my second one soon.
    When should I come out to her, of even at all?

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If she is properly trained she should be able to handle anything you are wanting to discuss. The key is to probably raise it when you feel confident with her, when she has had time to absorb some more about you and when you feel you can trust her. Good luck

3. YunoGasai

i written a whole answer but it was pretty much just this.

4. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I definitely think you should.
    She's there to help you, and she's not allowed to tell anyone, so it might be a good starting point, and it would give you a peaceful setting in which to discuss your issues without being judged :slight_smile:

But all in all, it shouldn't be until you feel ready and you feel like you can somewhat trust her.

5. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're very lucky actually. A therapist wouldn't tell anyone. If you told him/her she could make you feel pretty good. I would recommend you do tell them.

6. TeaTree

I would definitely tell her - especially that you mentioned this is the reason you are going there in the first place. Of course, if after first meeting her you have the feeling that something is off, that you for some reason feel you cannot trust her or there is some incompatibility, you could search for another therapist. But I would't continue going there if I could't be completely honest.
    I'm in a similar situation, going to see a therapist on Monday and I'm already freaking out about telling her. And about her reaction. But if I'll feel that her reaction is not supportive or there will be something not right, I hope I'll have the strength to ditch her.

7. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Definitely tell her once you're feel comfortable in doing so. :slight_smile: you'll have a reliable person to talk to and she'll help you!

8. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Update to everyone! I came out to my therapist and she said maybe I could reach her things so she'll be able to help me. I plan on seeing her until I'm able to see a gender therapist.