1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ Community, I am the odd one out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LezzyLizzyy, Aug 1, 2015.

1. LezzyLizzyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear/read about all these people thinking the worst of themselves, hating themselves, being depressed and thinking they are not normal. However I have NEVER felt this way about myself. I didn't even know there was a word for what I am until I got to middle school, I had never even heard anyone talk about it until then. I never thought I was weird, strange etc. I thought I was normal. I mean I didn't TALK about it, unless the conversation was brought up, but its not because I was scared, I just didn't think it was important or a big deal..

Am I the only one? Is there anyone else like me?

Don't get me wrong, I went through major depression, and counseling in elementary school, middle school and all of high school. But it was for other reasons. In fact up until recently I get nervous bringing up the fact I am gay to "professional" type strangers. For example I went to a photographer for family portraits. Myself, my son and girlfriend. I was turned down. This was a huge wake up call, I have never been discriminated against until then and it hurt. I was pissed, angry, how can you do this to me? To my family? I contacted other photographers and it kept happening. I do not blame myself, they are jerks. It's nerve wracking to wonder if I will be turned away again because I am a big ol lesbo.

Anyways.. Is there anyone who never thought they were strange, thought the worst of themselves, or depressed because of being LGBTQ? I know most people go through this. It's pretty much normal. But I am not normal...

To this day I have never met anyone like myself.

2. HikaruStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess many people have to learn to accept themselves.

3. LezzyLizzyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realize that... I just feel so weird that I didn't go through what most people do. Not saying I WANT to, but I feel so odd!

4. Lyana

No, you're not the only one. I never went through a period of self-hatred or depression. I did know my orientation wasn't the norm, but never really gave it much thought.

I have met others, so really, you're not the only one -- but we're not exactly a majority. Many people are raised in environments where it's not okay and can't help but absorbing that viewpoint. It makes sense.

You're lucky. Enjoy it!

5. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

I never hated the fact that I was gay but I did hate that I couldn't tell anyone because it would end up being a big deal. So it was the situation I was in that I didn't like, not the fact itself. I'm not sure why I never thought of it any other way.

6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same for me. I come from a Catholic family of the extremely non-accepting variety. I thought I was straight in high school, but I gradually became more accepting than everyone else as I made LGBT friends. By the time I realized I'm bi, it wasn't anything strange or hated. I didn't feel that way about anyone else, so why should I feel that way about myself? I have gone--and still go--through periods of depression, but because I know my family will never be okay with this, not because of my sexuality itself.

7. randomconnorcon

I don't know how to say it without things sounding harsh, but my family simply didn't care about my sexual or romantic orientation. Except my nan. My parents and my step parents (or just my stepmum if my mum hasn't told my stepdad) barely batted an eye and only my mum asked a question about asexuality. My stepmum understands that sexuality can be fluid, she also understands that this is me now and everything is cool.

I've never had to come out, I just brought it up in conversation if I was asked. Except my nan, she can be negative and she's already negative enough about me and my life. I'm not bringing my sexual orientation into it as well. I've grown to accept that she isn't a particularly nice person and I appreciate that she herself knows she's not nice about things. She grew up in a different time and things aren't likely to change. She still loves me, she just doesn't need to know every detail.

I've never being insulted in public, though I don't date so maybe I just haven't (in their minds) given them a reason to. But most of my friends are LGBTQ+ too, so I'm not particularly fussed about everyone else because I have friends who get it and I can talk to.

The only thing I haven't told my family is that I'm transgender. I think this is different because this will be something I will change about myself physically. I don't know how they'll react.

Other than that, I've never really hated that I'm not straight, because I've never had to.

#7 randomconnorcon, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  8. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't! I mean, yeah I was a little confused, but it never made me upset. I never went through depression or a deep questioning period or anything. It was just not a problem. I'm right here with you, sister!

PS when I grow up I want to have a photography business as a part time job, and I would NEVER discriminate against people and refuse their services. People are people.