1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrote a letter to my parents and a bit scared...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Megan335, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Megan335

So my parents already knew that I felt the way I do in terms of me being pretty sure I am transgender or gender fluid. Although they know this I still felt that they did not understand really where I was coming from so I wrote them a letter telling them how I felt and mentioning that HRT might be a option for me.

I am scared of how their reaction will be. HRT is not something to be taken lightly and I don't know how they would react if I went on hormones and started looking more like a girl. I think my dad is very uncomfortable talking about it and stuff and I don't know if he will be super creeped out or something and my mom already has talked to me about HRT but has told me to think hard about everything, which I understand. I have talked to my therapist about this as well and said to think about it but not be in such a rush to do anything about it yet and to work to lower my anxiety a bit and dealing with my body more.

I just do not know how my parents will react to all this, I mean seeing me go from looking like a boy to looking more like a girl is not something that comes easily to any parent I would think. Plus I think they misunderstand a lot about how I would go about being a girl and stuff, like I don't intend to be super girly. I would probably wear like a nice shirt, some jeans, and a cute hat or beanie like some girls at my school do and not grow my hair past shoulder length. I mean I want to be recognized as a girl but not be like really really girly.

Anyway I am just really scared and was wondering if anybody had any advice on how to handle this and stuff....

2. ChickenWhistle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Megan!

I'm new around here but I read your post and despite never experiencing the gender issues you are currently I feel compelled to reply to you.

I can understand the writing of a letter. I came out to my parents through a letter that I had a mutual friend hand deliver to them in person. (My folks aren't the best communicators, neither am I really, seeing as they raised me.) A letter takes the pressure off slightly, you can more carefully consider the message you need to get across and the word choice to best do so.

I think it's great you are reaching out to communicate with your parents. It's important you do, providing they are receptive, even if you don't always agree. Communication, in my view, is the way forward.

I'm sure you can understand that these are big issues for them, hell, you're the one struggling with them, right?! Sometimes a little time and/or a little nudge towards your point of view might help. There's going to be some adjustment for everybody concerned, I'm sure you're already aware of this. But talking about it might not be your family's style?

Sorry if that's not very helpful, but just wanted to let you know that I'd seen your post and felt it really deserved a reply. Take care.(*hug*)

3. lovely lesbian