1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mum is ridiculously oblivious??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Soillse, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I have been home from uni for 2 and a bit months, and have spent the ENTIRE time trying to come out to my mum.
    I've tried to ease into the conversation, but she always makes the conversation about her (I should probably mention that we don't have the greatest relationship).
    I've tried making subtle comments but it is ridiculous how oblivious she is, like I've used gender neutral or female pronouns to talk about potential partners, I constantly bring up my gf, I tell her we're going to a night out at a gay bar, she knows I am obsessed with rainbows etc.
    The following is a legitimate conversation between us:
    me: 'Yeah, the lgbt society at my uni is great - it has this thing where a member just sits casually in the union and posts where s/he's sitting and you can just go and chat if you need to. They also have the best hoodies ever.'
    her: '(my name), you can't join the lgbt society just for the hoodie'
    me: '... that wouldn't be why I was joining.'
    The other day she 'accidently' opened my facebook inbox - where I may have a group chat entitled 'ALL THE QUEERS'. And commented on the other messages, looked really awkward, and steadfastly ignored that one.
    Lately, every time I try to subtly bring it up, she gets really mad at me and then ignores what I said.
    I'm now getting to the stage where I think it's deliberate - is it even worth telling her? And if so, is there any way to do it short of screaming "I AM A HOMOSEXUAL!" in her face? :help:

2. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know it kind of sounds deliberate it to me too. It sounds like she has taken the hints and is maybe in denial that her daughter is gay. If you are dropping all these obvious hints you should have the courage to just sit her down and tell her. It may not be what she wants to hear, but I think she will come around. Give it a shot!

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I agree. Probably at this point, the only thing you can really do is just outright tell her. You've given her a chance to warm up to it and take a hint, but she didn't take that chance so now all you can do is tell her. Best of luck(*hug*)

4. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She already knows, she just doesn't want to comment about it for some reason. It's probably because there is an element of denial over it. If you outright tell her, don't be entirely surprised if she expresses a bit of shock about it. This doesn't exactly make sense, but since she is in a certain element of denial I would not be surprised.

5. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly, I've tried to tell her. I start a conversation about it and then it somehow morphs into a conversation about her. I can't just blurt it out because the idea makes me nervous and I have a neurological condition which affects my speech that is worse when I'm nervous. She gets really angry at me when I stutter, and it probably isn't the best idea to blurt it out when she's already mad. I don't know - maybe I could write it down or something?

6. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Writing it down sounds like a good idea, especially if you tend to stutter and she cuts you off.
    It will also give you more time to think about the right way you want to say it, and formulate it accordingly.
    Good luck! ^_^

7. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you! (*hug*)