1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out to my dad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Realguy899, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Realguy899

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Long story short... I m 25 and my boyfriend is 22.. we have been dating 2.5 years and will be moving in together. We live in our college town away from my family. The deal is my family doesn't know. His family does. My dad asked me recently if I was gay because someone in the family is telling others I am (family drama). I told him no because I was not too comfortable with the idea of admitting it. In my mind, I don't even know if I am gay or not. It's hard to put it into words. Right now, I am happy with this relationship, but I am not too certain I would date a guy again if we break up. I already have one gay brother with both of the same parents and another gay brother with the same mother.

How do I tell my dad this? I don't even care about everyone else in my family, only my dad. My mom isn't in my life. Mature answers only please.

2. ConfusedguyZZ

I am happy that you have a good relationship with your boyfriend. Well you should tell him the truth: I mean tell him that you have a boyfriend that you love so much and you want spend your life with him... Tell him that you respect your family(dad) but also your dad must respect his son's decisions
    If he asked you that you are gay, I think that he hasn't problem with that, just he wants the truth and also he wants to trust him... If he REALLY LOVES YOU, he will not disappoint you....

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell your dad what you just told us, that you have a male friend that you have been hanging out with for a year, who you really care about as a person and are going to be roommates with, but you are not sure whether it will become some kind of long-term gay partnership or not. That you only are attracted to him, and not to every good looking guy you see on the street, and thus don't yet know whether you are exclusively gay or not. You don't have to "label" yourself as anything. And point out that male-male relationships seem to run in your family so it would not be that unusual for you to also have some degree of same-gender attraction, even if it is not an exclusive attraction.

4. SpiritEnergy

Tell your dad the exact same thing. Make him know how you feel. I'm sure that he really loves, nothing bad will happen. Good luck with everything.