1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the process of coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pandaqueen, Aug 2, 2015.

1. pandaqueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm 21, female, and have just begun the process of coming out to everyone (have told my mum, flatmate and some workmates) but am worried that people won't take me seriously because of my age and lack of same-sex experience. I have previously had sex and relationships with many men but have always felt unfulfilled by them. I have never done anything more than kiss a girl.

I don't really know how to meet girls and am worried that when I do that they will think I'm silly, inexperienced and not be interested in me because of this. None of my friends are gay, and although I would really like to go to a gay bar/club, I have no one to go with. Overthinking this all terribly but am really confused and would appreciate any help :slight_smile: <3

2. MetalRice

Don't worry, you don't have to be a specific age or have experience to know what you feel and know that it is true; your fine in that regard.

As for the problem of meeting girls, I can't help you there; but I am sure there's some lass out there that will fancy you.

3. Lyana

Yes, you are overthinking it, sweetheart. But that's normal, don't worry. I was also a bit concerned before entering my current relationship because I knew she was much more experienced, with several long term relationships with women in her past. I'd never even kissed a girl (so you would be ahead of me), and my relationships with guys had been casual or somewhat messed-up. I thought the experience difference might matter -- I even posted about it!
    Seven months in, it hasn't mattered yet.

If there are girls who will think you're silly because you're inexperienced, who cares about them? I can assure you there are girls who won't care either way, as long as you're into them and they're into you. Inexperience is nothing to be ashamed of. Besides, you're only 21 -- you've got your whole life ahead of you.

Also, if you're really in Glasgow (or close enough that you can go, say, once a month), you have a nice LGBT scene going on there and should be able to meet people. I was there earlier this year and managed to meet a bunch of LGBT young women and men thanks to GULGBTQ+, which is a Glasgow University group. There's also an LGBT group at Strathclyde Uni.
    If you're not a student and not keen on hanging out with only students, you could also look into StandOut (I didn't get the opportunity to go but did exchange e-mails with an organizer or coordinator who was very welcoming) or BiScotland (if you're bi or questioning -- sorry if you're gay, I wasn't quite sure) meetings.
    Go to pride later this month! And you have Glasgay! too
    Have a look here for more ideas.
    Definitely go to a gay bar/club (you can even drag a straight friend along), you're lucky, the ones in Glasgow are pretty fun! FHQ is ladies-only, which might be less intimidating for you. The Polo Lounge is nice for a drink.
    If all of these options intimidate you too much, have a look online. I'm sure there are plenty of ladies in the Glasgow area.

4. pandaqueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you so much! Your reply is amazing! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: