1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my mother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gillisland, Aug 2, 2015.

1. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the next few weeks or so, the only people in my house are my mom and me. I started having this feeling earlier that I have to come out to my mom today or soon. I don't know if I should or not, and if you're going to answer this don't say that it's my choice just tell me if you think I should or not.

2. molsen7961

Honestly, it depends on your mother. Is she generally supportive of LGBT issues? Is she religious? Does she make rash decisions - aka likely to kick you out or disown you? Does she seem to have a subconscious hatred towards gays?

I came out to my dad today and it went horribly wrong - I thought he would be completely fine but he implied that it was a phase and said he didn't know where I got it from because no one else in the family was bi or gay. And then he just kept saying, "I don't know." I guess it wasn't really that bad but I had prepared myself for total acceptance so I was caught off guard.

So really, don't come out until you have psychoanalyzed your mom and determined every possible reaction. You don't want to be unprepared for a bad reaction like I was.

3. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually just tried to come out to her but I couldn't and now it's really awkward between us.

4. molsen7961

What did you say? That you had something to tell her then just left her hanging? If you've already said something along the lines of being gay, she probably already has an idea of what's coming and it may be better to just get it over with since she's already suspicious

5. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never said anything along the lines of being gay, I just left her hanging. Do you have any idea on how I could tell her not face to face? Also, I don't even want to leave my room in anticipation that I would see my mom.

#5 gillisland, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  6. 50ishandout

Grab her by the hand, look her in the eyes and tell her you love her. When she's looking at you with that look the tell her you also lover boys.

7. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's a little too much for me 50ishandout.

8. mochii

If you don't feel ready to come out to her, don't force it. It also depends on your conditions. My mom will not be supportive when I come out to her, but I am 22 and it won't affect me much, but with you being 13 it might be more difficult. But if she seems supportive that's great!