1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friends might think I'm doing it for the attention

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fxngirl, Aug 3, 2015.

1. fxngirl

fxngirl Guest

I feel it's time to come out to two of my closest friends, but I'm afraid of how they're gonna react, and that's why:
    There's a girl that used to be our friend, who is known to be always needy for attention. She's always been flirty with all the guys she met, but in the past three years she's been in a relationship with a girl friend of ours. We don't know if she's gay or what, because she seems attracted only to THAT girl, and honestly I don't care. However, my two friends think that she's with that girl just in order to gain attention from people, so now I'm scared to tell them that I'm a lesbian myself, because I'm afraid they're gonna think I'm doing it for the attention as well.
    What am I supposed to do? I'm afraid they're not gonna believe me.

2. Lyana

Hey fxngirl,
    A three year long relationship doesn't really seem like anything to joke about, especially at your age. You're right about not caring. I think your friends need to get their priorities straight -- what business of theirs is another person's relationship, really?

I can understand feeling unsure about telling them. But it doesn't seem like they're homophobic, and you are not that girl you describe as being attention-seeking. They know you, and if they're truly your friends they should believe you. Have faith in them.

If they don't believe you and think you're just lying to get attention, I'm sorry, but these "friends" are probably not worth your time. The kind of attention you get from not being straight is rarely the kind of attention anyone in their right mind would want to attract. Tell them that, if you think it will help. And if they don't believe you, it doesn't say anything about you, but about them... and you'll know exactly how much you can count on these friends.