1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking a name?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SkylarBlur, Aug 3, 2015.

1. SkylarBlur

Hello everyone <3

I attended pride yesterday in guy mode, and when I was introduced to people they asked my name.. Now my birth name is very fem, Sara.

I don't pass very well as a guy.. This I know. So when I use my birth name on guy days.. It really just kicks me when I'm feeling already like I don't fit in.

I was wondering how genderfluid folk found their new names? Or perhaps trans folk in general (or anyone thats had a name change)

Not looking to get it legally changed mind you.. but even something that sounds like a nick name would work I guess.. I felt so embarrassed yesterday >~<

*edit* I'd like to add that this was my first time leaving the house in guy mode.. I have before, to the corner store or for a walk. But never in binder and for the whole day. So names never really came up.

#1 SkylarBlur, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm not sure how to advise you in maculine names, as I've only used my genderfluid/not-quite-a-girl name a few times. I used Chris, as it can be interpreted both ways, and could be short for either Christian or Christina, both of which are common names where I live. Other genderfluid names could be something like Max or Sam, both of which could be short for both traditional boy and girl names.

What I think is important is that the name should be something you feel like sounds like you. Like, when you hear the name, you picture yourself or the person you want to be.

Good luck finding a name :slight_smile:

3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It took me a while to find my name, I honestly looked on baby name sites at meanings, similar sounding names, names I liked, but they just never fit. I eventually got so frustrated that I basically gave up searching, and a couple days later "Jason" just popped into my head one day, and I knew it was the one.
    Try a few names out, see what you like and what you don't, as Berru suggested, maybe try a unisex name.

Sam
    Taylor
    Jordan
    Danny/Dani
    Micah
    Riley

Good luck. :slight_smile:

4. HikaruStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm not out to people but I some how got people to call me Gerard because I love MCR. Ask your friends what names you think go with you. That should give you a start.

But somehow online I became known as Hikaru... hmm...

5. Mike64

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel confused about the name thing as well. In a different way though. I think sometimes I want a totally new name that cannot be confused with a girl, but other times I want to keep my name. It is sometimes used by guys but not so much in the US. I feel like I don't want to start my life over again, I just want to be my real self moving forward. I am curious to see other people's advise on this.

6. Mags the Goron

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Had I not been named Magdalena, my parents would've called me Leo (well, Leonardo), so I went with that. I almost chose Max (because it's similar to Mags) but since my star sign is Leo I found it better. You could try to think of more masculine names similar to your birth name (eg Sam) or go with something completely different!

#6 Mags the Goron, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that's dedicated. :thumbsup:

If I ever need to change my name, if I turn out to be genderfluid, I'll probably use the name Jay. My middle name is Jayne, so I like the idea of it tying into your old name.

8. SkylarBlur

I'll keep this in mind, thank you for our advice!

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2015 at 12:29 PM ----------

Thanks for your advice! I've found a few baby name sites with filters for gender neutral names even. Seems It's hard to find one my SO agrees with though ^^;

9. Midori

Out Status:
    Some people
    To be honest, I'm still trying to find a name I like(Since I am genderfluid and identify as male more often) My birth name is Elizabeth, but I'm deciding between these names:

Ren
    Leo
    Elius
    Claude

For ones close to your name, something like..?

Sam
    Seb (Sebastian)
    Sakari
    Sky/Skyler
    Saul
    Storm
    Saber
    etc.

(Totally wasn't looking through a baby naming book "The Baby Name Wizard" --baby naming books/sites are wonderful)