1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderfluid person who wants to come out to parents and maybe take T someday

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Catsense, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Catsense

Catsense Guest

Hello everyone! :smilewave I was hoping that I can get some advice on a few things

So if you couldn't already tell I'd like to come out to my parents about being genderfluid. I'm about to start college soon (I'll be commuting and living at home) and I want to be able to express my true self while I'm there so that any new friends that I make will know about how I identify by the time that they meet me.

Background:
    With the way that my genderfluidity works, I switch between a girl, a boy, and a combination of both (bigender). I'm dfab and I love to wear dresses, thigh highs, and cute pastel stuff on my girl days and I'm encouraged to do so as well. But on my guy days I want to wear different kinds of clothing. However I'm too afraid do that because I know my parents will question me... and this can be a huge problem because I feel like a male more often than I do a female. I want to be perceived as a male so badly that I constantly consider taking hormones (and I know that's kind of cissexist of me to say but I feel like taking hormones would make me feel much better about myself)

I want to express myself/transition so badly that I cry more often than I should, I've had to leave a party early because I felt uncomfortable with myself, I often can't sleep at night because my thoughts are racing about how badly I want to change, and when I actually do fall asleep I sometimes talk about taking hormones in my dreams. It's getting so ridiculous! What sucks even more is that my anxiety disorder worsens the emotional breakdowns that I have, in fact it probably causes most of them. But still as I mentioned above I feel like a girl on some days too. So I sometimes wonder "will taking hormones just make me upset on my girls days instead? Will all that I want to do to make myself feel better actually harm me in the end?" I know for sure that I want a lower pitched voice and that I absolutely hate my hips and thighs and I feel like a male more often than I do a female so I'm not sure why I'm concerned about this in the first place

Okay now back to my parents. I've told my parents about what nonbinary is in the past however their reaction to it wasn't a very positive one: they mostly dismissed it as "a thing that kids do to get attention" and "just a phase". They're also somewhat conservative. However I've noticed that they're trying to make an effort to understand sexuality and what being trans means so maybe they can tell that my sibling and myself are hiding something. Still I am afraid of getting a negative reaction upon coming out.

Another thing that I want to make clear: what I've described above makes me sound really unhappy with my life but honestly that is not true!. My friends support me 100% and my sibling is also nonbinary and they comfort me anytime I feel upset. So just to let you know I am not depressed. I just experience gender dysphoria which makes me really uncomfortable at times however I am still a happy person.

So to sum everything up:
    I'd like advice on how to come out to my parents. Maybe some advice on what to do if things go wrong. And I'd also like to know about others' experiences with T (especially if you're nonbinary). I'd like to know the good and the bad parts of taking it and I'm really interested on how it effects body shape and voice, also how long it takes for certain effects to start showing. This is just to help me decide whether or not I want to take it in the future

Thank you ahead of time! Please be gentle with your responses. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I would want to know where they're getting their information on gender and sexuality? If it seems like they're really trying to understand it and finding reliable information, that's probably a good sign.

When you do come out, be honest with them, and be prepared to make your case if they say you're wrong. You made need to take a rational approach or an emotional approach, or both. If they happen to be religious, you'll need to know your theology.

The most important thing would probably be to make it clear that this is really how you feel, and not just a phase or a cry for attention. Judging by what you wrote, that's what they'll assume if their reaction is negative.