1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by anonhidden, Aug 5, 2015.

1. anonhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I moved out of home six months ago and am now living with a couple who are the only people that know I am gay. One of the main reasons for moving out of home was so I was no longer dependant on my parents so I could remove at least that fear from my mind before coming out to my family. Although, with it being six months later, I have not told anyone else that I am gay. I feel that I am comfortable with who I am and have accepted my sexuality but is this a sign that subconsciously I am not ready yet? I am ready to get on with my life as a gay man but I just cant seem to make that leap of faith.*

Any advice??

2. ConfusedguyZZ

First of all, are you playing Assassin's Creed ?? I saw the phrase Leap of Faith
    In order to do the leap of faith is to accepting your. That means that you must love yourself whenever your decision is and when you make a mistake you will not start hating yourself. And it's great that a couple knows that you are gay.. that means you opened your heart( Btw when you mean couple you mean just friends or they are romantic attracted{ and it is gay or a straight couple} I asked you because if they are a gay couple your enviroment is almost the same as your enviroment.. I hope I helped you because I am not good in writing

3. anonhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nah I don't play Assassins Creed haha. It is a straight couple that I live with (they are together romantically). I went to school with the female in the relationship and she started working with me last year. She offered me a room at their place and, because I was hoping to come out sometime soon, I decided to tell her before I moved in with them. They are fine with it and I talk openly about it all with her now but it is much harder to tell people that are closer to you like family.

4. mangotree

It's probably not that you're not "ready" yet.
    Coming out to family is scary for nearly everyone.

5. anonhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm pretty sure that my family will be fine with it. I mean, my mother has told me that it would be fine if one her children were gay as there are "worse things they could be" haha. I think I am more worried that once I tell my family, I will then have to come out to all of my friends and I'm not sure how they would react. It will be a big change it my life and I think I'm just too scared to make the change

6. Robyn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Let me start by saying that I acknowledge your fears and I wish you don't feel as scared to come out to your family and friends.

I believe coming out is less about what people think of you or how they would react, and really more about who you are and how comfortable you want to live your life. There is very little control we have over what other people will think or say, or even make us feel. However other people perceive us is beyond our capacity to change that perception, or to even make suggestions that would change that perception.

Coming out is a process that begins with the self. Once you are comfortable in your own identity, you may open yourself up to other people. Whatever way other people take it, be it your family or friends, their actions/reactions are their responsibility and not yours. Your sole responsibility is being true to your own self because you have every right to live the kind of life that makes you happy.

For as long as the life you live does not affect people negatively, please take comfort in knowing that who you are is okay. More than okay. You are a beautiful human being, no matter how you identify.

Lastly, every coming out story is different for all. Make yours count. If possible, make it something you can look back on and say, "I'm proud of myself for coming out", as you should be.

My best wishes to you, anonhidden.

#6 Robyn, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015