1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to parents trouble

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fionamc, Aug 5, 2015.

1. fionamc

Hi
    I came out to my friends recently as bisexual, the were all very supportive and lovely about it, completely understanding why i was nervous. I was planning on telling my family today but in not sure i can. My step dad at dinner was talking to my younger brother, explaining what homosexual meant, and then when on to rant for 10 mins as to why he didn't think being bi is a thing, people just haven't made up their minds, greedy ect.... It really hurt, though not dirrected at me.
    I want to tell my mum and dad but my step dad has terrified me they wont like it and will think differently of me.
    Any advice?
    Xx

#1 fionamc, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going through almost the exact situation with my step-dad be somewhat homophobic and i wanted to come out but hearing him talk about it made me want to wait it out. However i got some advice about if it would be better to tell your biological family and they might be more accepting than your step family thats all for now i have to run somewhere ill be back with more help soon hope it helpes

3. fionamc

Thanks for the help! that's a good idea actually, will give it a go if i ever get the courage to :slight_smile:
    Good luck to you
    X

4. Joey101

I think it would work out (some time might be in need but still). my mother always said the same things about bisexuals, right now she is either believing in the "phase" or really wishes I was bisexual.
    but maybe you should try to find out if your parents have a hidden homophobic trait, if that might be the case, wait till you don't depend on them in any way and have a backup if everything goes wrong(*hug*)

5. fionamc

I think you may be right about them needing time. Im going to uni next year, which is a good point if they take it badly i can leave. IM worried about that being my last option, i get really lonely sometimes, and don't want to distance myself. But i would rather that them dislike something about me
    Thank you so much (*hug*)
    Xx

6. Joey101

glad to help and really hoping anything turns out well.(*hug*):thumbsup: