1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

after coming out to friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by oursecret, Aug 7, 2015.

1. oursecret

Out Status:
    A few people
    i have a small group of friends (four including myself) and none of them know about my sexuality. i've always sort of subconsciously hidden it from them, like they would talk about guys and i would impulsively talk about how cute they are and things like that. i know they wouldn't see it coming. they're all accepting of gay people, and i know they wouldn't reject me, but i feel like it would be weird (especially with my closest friend) if they knew. they wouldn't care, but i think little things would change, like they wouldn't want to share a bed at sleep overs or change in front of me or like hug me and stuff. does anyone have advice/have you experienced this or the opposite of this when coming out to same-sex friends?

2. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Trust me, with your best friends, it'll never change. Came out to my best buds, and they didn't care (they actually seemed to do stuff like hug more often XD).

3. and323

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to a majority of my friends over a group message we already had going over Facebook. It was over the summer a few years ago during university so I was at home rather than where my school was located. I had been in the closet for about half a year after coming out of denial before it was too much for me and decided to knock a whole bunch of people out of the way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. None of them even batted an eye and all of them were incredibly supportive. To this day I've never had a negative experience after telling somebody that I'm gay.

I would maybe refrain from doing it over a message though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. In person is probably your best bet so it's more of a personal moment. If they're really your true friends then none of it should matter!

#3 and323, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  4. William

I came out to my friends ages ago and I either got the, "Congrats dude!" or the, "Man, you're brave!" or the, "Wait, can I still make gay jokes?"

You should be fine!

5. EllieSong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nothing really changed between me and my friends except the fact that I can actually talk openly if I think a woman is good looking and things like this. I was also worried how they will react because some of them are huggers and stuff but they had absolutely 0 problems with it.

6. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can understand those fears, it's warranted I guess.. feeling like things won't change, but will yet, kinda change. All I can say is that, if they're truly your friends.. they won't treat you like an alien, but sometimes I can understand maybe how some hetero people might feel, even though those feelings are irrational; if it helps, maybe try an educate the friends that may not be as fully understanding.

7. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my friends as bisexual, with some of them it was kind of icy for some time, they wouldn't hug me anymore and stuff, but it got back to normal when they realised nothing should really change. Now the ones I hang out with have no problems hugging me or even changing in front of me. It just took them the time to realise I'm not attracted to them and it got back to normal.
    When I'm hanging out with a friend, if we're in her room and she needs to change her shirt because it's too warm, she won't go to another room or ask me to look away(I do that automatically though, but it's not like she tries to hide).

8. Silver Sparrow

It could be weird. That happens sometimes. With my friends, the most awkward was the few days after coming out to them, and that only happened with a small few. Most of my friends said "Okay, thanks" and then nothing really changed except I'd finally use the right pronouns when talking about a crush or a person I found attractive. Good luck!

9. InLoveWithAGirl

It's not nearly as bad as you think it will be.

Like if they are good friends (sometimes even if they aren't) they will act totally normal or even be more inclusive.

Like with some of my guy friends, we are bros. We talk about girls together, share experiences. With the girls that know, we still hug. They see me as me.