1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to large family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VTH, Aug 8, 2015.

1. VTH

VTH

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My mom is from a large family, she is one of eight children and I have 18 cousins. My entire extended family is pretty close. We have Christmas together every year and almost every thanksgiving (if we can get everyone together). Almost all of my aunts and uncles are pretty conservative and i'm defiantly sure that some of them are homophobic and 3 of them (maybe more) are accepting. I'm not really worried about my cousins because almost all of the older ones are in their 20's and its obvious that they don't care. I'm just super scared to come out to my mom because word spreads like wildfire within my family and I feel that when I tell her, i'll hear it all from my family. I feel that when we all get together for holidays and stuff it'll be super awkward and weird. Its a blessing to have such a big family who's a lot of fun, but it makes everything 10x's harder. Do you think it would be a good idea to come out to my mom when i'm already in college (I'm a HS senior now) ? I know that my mom will still love me and everything but I think that it might be better to have my whole family find out when I'm older... What do you think?

2. Lyana

Hey VTH,

Only come out if you feel comfortable about it. Is there no way your mom could keep it to herself, if you asked her not to tell anyone? If you tell her you'd rather come out on your own terms, at your own pace? She should be able to respect that, for your sake.

In any case, I don't think your orientation will truly become the focus of your holiday get-togethers. And I can't tell you whether or not it's a good idea to come out. Only you can weigh the pros and cons.