1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my dad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AndySammy, Aug 9, 2015.

1. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

So I'm trans* male. I've identified as that for half a year, and am completely sure.
    I'm out to my mum, and she's very unsupportive, and can't really understand why 'I chose to be this way, when I was so girly before'.
    Now the problem is, that I'm going to be a week at my mum's and then a week at my dad's for a long time, and he's really generous with the feminine compliments/nicknames.
    And I can't stand it. I don't know what he thinks of transsexualism, but I told him about Caitlyn Jenner, and he just said 'She sounds like a lovely woman', so maybe he'd be okay?
    I just don't want to hurt him, so would it be a good idea to come out to him? If he's not acceptive, then I won't have anyone at all.
    And how should I even come out to him? Should I write a letter or make a call?

I'm really sorry for this rambling, and thanks if anyone will even use time on reading this and maybe even answer.
    Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't know if he'll be against it or not, but he doesn't sound too intolerant to me.

And... I don't know if the best way would be to do it face-to-face or by letter, but if you do it by letter, you'll have the time to really think about what you want to say and formulate it right, to get your message across in the best way.
    However it might be more therapeutic (although also awkward) to do it face-to-face.

Since I don't know your dad it's hard to give advice about it, but I can understand why you're scared.

All in all, erh, sorry I wasn't of more help, and good luck with whatever you decide to do (*hug*)

3. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I don't think he is, I just think he won't think it's true because I'm so young.

I think I'll write a letter - you're totally right when you say I'll then have more time to think about what I'll say, so I'll do that! :slight_smile:

Thanks! You really helped me, you did (*hug*)

4. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Good to hear (*hug*)
    If you want to, feel free to let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

5. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

It'd be really nice to talk to somebody about it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

6. vamonos

Why wouldn't you?

7. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

Come out to my dad? Simply because I'm really scared he won't accept me like my mum didn't. That would just be awful.

8. vamonos

They won't accept it because of your age. Keep in mind these are the people who get to run your life until you're an adult.

You should be honest with them unless you think they will harm you.

9. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

You know what? You're saying something really clever, thank you! I'll probably come out to him really soon. Thank you for making me realise I should.

10. troubleshooter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I would test the waters more before you come out to him. You're very young and you'll have to live with your parents for several more years. You don't want to make your life miserable. Maybe even tell him you prefer dressing like a boy now and don't want to be called "His little princess" or whatever he may call you. Try to do that before you flat out say "I'm a boy." This is very difficult for parents and many people to cope with and understand, so just tread lightly. It DOES sound like your dad is accepting, but you want to go slowly. Who knows, maybe in some time if he's better to you about this you can go live with him instead of your mom who doesn't accept you.

11. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

Well, that would maybe actually be a pretty good idea, to test waters. He knows I want to dress boy-ish, and I've told him he'll never see me in a dress. Then he, of course, bought me one, but that's irrelevant.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try that, I just don't know what to do to test the waters, with my mum it was a very flat out letter, 'I'm a boy' and that was that. I regret it, though, so I won't do the same here. Maybe I'll just hint so much he'll ask one day, I just can't wait for him to come around forever.