1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by michael20, Aug 9, 2015.

1. michael20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am 24 and have just recently come to accept myself for being gay and am in the initial stages of coming out to people I care about. So far I have only come out to my younger brother who is also gay. He was a great first person for me to tell. However, I am now really wanting to come out to a close friend. The person I have in mind I know will be ok with me being gay. However, I have crippling anxiety when it comes to initiating the conversation. I am so tired of not being able to be honest with my friends, but I also cannot get myself past the awkwardness of coming out. Any advice from others who have gone through this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Phitek

I think that you should do what you want to do. If you want to tell your friend that's fine, or if you don't that's OK too. My coming out was REALLY awkward but I am so happy I can be myself now. I think that if you bring it up quietly (not a big deal, because it's not) then you should be fine.

3. Jeffreycominout

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have not gone through this, but can assure you that you'll be fine. Make eye contact, try to stay calm, be confident when speaking to your best friend. I apologize in advance if my advice wasn't very helpful/useful...

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You friend isn't making it awkward; he should be ok with it. You are making it awkward inside your own head. Don't do that. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are gay, it is ok, and your friend will be cool with it. Do it over and over again until you convince yourself it is true. Then just go tell him.