1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm terrified of coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kyisbi, Aug 9, 2015.

1. kyisbi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well recently I have accepted myself as bisexual. I always just identified as straight even though I was really questioning. After a long time of ignoring attraction to girls, I've decided to accept myself and identify as bisexual. I've only told one person, my online best friend. I know my friends won't really care that much, but I'm scared they won't take me seriously. I'm scared no one will take me seriously. I know my stepmother would be totally okay with me being bi, and I think my dad would be okay as well. My mother is religious, and to her it's a sin. And I know she told me she has had gay friends before, but I'm afraid she'll be really hard on me about this. My stepsister is in seventh grade, but is quite immature compared to how I was at her age. She's used gay as an insult before, and is also religious, so I'm scared she won't accept me. But I've never really asked her about her opinions on LGBT, so I'm unsure. We are really close and I don't want to lose that. Then there's my older sister who's a complete bitch about everything in my life, and will use anything personal I've told her in a fight, just to hit where it hurts. I think at first she'll be accepting, but eventually she'll probably use it against me. I am so scared of coming out. I don't know what to do.

2. Jeffreycominout

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Start with the person you trust most.

3. kyisbi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I suppose that's a good idea. Under normal circumstances I would come out to my best friend, but I don't think we're on very good terms at the moment. Stupid fight, but that's a whole other story. I feel like I might just come out to my stepmom and dad, because at least I know they will be accepting. I feel ready to do this, but I also don't want to rush anything.

4. GreenPanRose270

My parents are all types of conservative, so I started out with a few online friends to test the waters (I figured that since they wouldn't be able to judge me in person it would be a smart way to begin).
    Then I told my two friends who are gay and bi, because they knew how it felt at some point too, and we have a great support system now :slight_smile:
    Overall, it depends on who you trust, and it's always a good idea to find someone who's going through what you're going through, like a friend who is also gay/bi/trans/etc, or joining your school's Gay-Straight Alliance if there is one.
    I hope this helped, and good luck! ^_^