1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning to come out to my mother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sekliniak, Aug 10, 2015.

1. sekliniak

sekliniak Guest

Hey guys.
    I just wrote a letter for my mother. I decided that I am ready to finally come out to her. I want to tell her about my sexual orientation and gender idendity. I know that she wants more equality for the lgbt community and that she is not homophobic. So I'm not really scared coming out to her..
    I thought it might be a good idea to give her my letter on my 18th birthday which is in 2 months..
    Do you think writing a letter is a good way coming out to someone?
    And do you think it's a good idea to tell her about both my sexual orientation and Gender identity at once? Or do you think that this is too much and I should wait a bit until I tell her about my gender fluidity?

2. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A letter is a great way to come out depending on you're personality, like me i'm shy i would probably right a letter or something of the sorts. And i would suggest she how she takes the first news then probably tell her the rest since you are pretty confident shes supporting of the LGBT community. Good Luck!

3. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome! I used a letter when I came out to my mom as well. It sounds like she'll take it really well! I'd come out with whichever is more important to you now, then decide on the other based on how she takes it. For example, while I'm pansexual, it's really not that big a deal for me. I don't really care if people know or not. However, being trans* is much more important to me. I decided to come out to my mom as trans* and that later on if it came up I could mention my sexuality as well. Anyway, best of luck! I'd love to hear how it all turns out :slight_smile:

4. sekliniak

sekliniak Guest

Thank you for your replies. They have been very hepful :slight_smile: