1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to tell mum im gay, but cant get the words out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Welshgay16, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Welshgay16

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Il start by saying most of my freinds know im gay, and ide like to tell my mum im gay before i start 6th form college in September as i plan on being completely open and it would probably be less awkward if i told ber myself than her finding out and avoiding talking to me about it , i know she would avoid the topic because we dont have a sort of relationship that we talk about personal stuff like this , thats the same reason i cant seem to tell her im gay , i want to but i keep on subconsciously stoping myself , also we live with her bf whos a knob snd it would make it awkward in the house between me and him but to be honest i dont really care , i dont like him anyway and my happiness is more important so hes not gonna stop me from coming out , i dont want to write a lettet because im not that sort of person and my family will joke about what i write if i try to be serious , my sisters will anyway theyl take the mick , not for me being gay but that i wrote a letter about it we just have that sort of relationship , if they work for you thats great but i just find them abit cringey anyways , has anyone please got some advice that would help me figure out what to do

#1 Welshgay16, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are determined to come out to your mum before the start of the new term it gives you 3-4 weeks. If you don't want to do it in writing I would suggest you let your mum know that you want to talk to her privately and set a time when it will be convenient for both of you, but don't reveal anything in advance. It might seem a bit odd to make an appointment with your mum, but the fact that you are doing so should prepare her for some important news and you will not be left flapping around looking for a moment to quickly spill the news to her. Also, if you've set it up, it's not so easy to change your mind and back out, like you are doing now.

Before you talk to your mum, do a bit of groundwork. Think about the sort of questions she might ask and have your answers ready. You might not cover every base, but if you just go into it and try to 'wing it' she might not take it as seriously. If you can demonstrate that you have thought it through she will be more convinced that it's not a fad or a phase.