1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my parents know...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by galaxygia, Aug 13, 2015.

1. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they've known something about my gayness for a while but it wasn't really until today that I've noticed:

So I am on vacation right now and we were at Disneyland (not Disney World in Florida) today. We were in a gift shop in California Adventure and my dad and I were looking through the pins and I came across like a Pride pin (you know a rainbow Mickey Mouse or whatever) and my dad commented on it like: 'Oh they have a gay pride pin' or something like that. I kinda quickly changed the subject and then my mom came over to my dad and me. Dad then said 'Look they have a gay pride pin' then he looks at me. I kinda turn away saying nothing and I heard my mom say. 'Well they have gay days and stuff like that here' then that was it.

FYI my parents almost NEVER talk about LGBT things so this is important I think. And before today my mom and dad have talked about my future with a guy but then my mom will say 'or girl' after she mentions me marrying a guy. A year ago my mom never added the 'or girl' to her ramblings. I may be paranoid but I want to know what you all think. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Do they have an idea of who I am or are they just being weird?

#1 galaxygia, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

They may just be curious about a hunch of theirs. This appears to be their way of putting bait out there and hoping you'll bite, to confirm or deny their curiosity.

That's your choice to make. But opportunities like this won't always come up, so keep that in mind, whatever decision you go with.

3. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks I think that is probably true. I refuse to bite because I'm not ready yet and when I come out I want to bring it up myself. :slight_smile:

4. Really

I think it's a good sign that they talked about it so casually, don't you think? Unless you read something else in their tone but it sounds like they're fine with you telling them.

5. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that they're not homophobic at all but it's still a little worrisome for me... Not exactly sure why but I'm just not ready so the fact that they have some idea of who I am before even some of my best friends know is a little scary. I'm also afraid that they won't believe me because that actually happened to one of my friends. She came out but her parents sort of patted her on the head (figuratively) and told her that she can't possibly know yet. Geez I'm rambling and I'm not even sure what my point was exactly. Maybe I'm just scared.

6. Really

I think maybe you're just a little panicked because it seems they might know or at least suspect. But from what you've said, I don't think they will doubt you when you're ready to say something. It actually sounds like they may have looked up how to let you know that they're ok with LGBT stuff and by extension you being gay if, in fact, they've guessed correctly.
    Take your time to get comfortable and only come out when you're ready. It sounds like they love you and want to make sure you know they're cool with you being gay.
    They might drop more hints so you might want to be prepared. Choose a comment that neither confirms nor denies, for the moment, but reassures them that you're ok. (If you are. I hope you are.)
    E.g.
    Mom: Look at the pretty rainbow bracelets! And these Pride cookies!
    You: Yes, mom. All this gay stuff is great. Can I have some fries?

7. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, thank you soooo much. I'm perfectly fine, it's just this whole thing has kinda caught me off guard (I'm not as sneaky as I thought I was) and I'm still getting used to coming out. Thanks for the example I'll use it as a sort of compass for this. (I've been going kinda silent when the rare LGBT topic came up) Once school starts I may get a little more confident and turning 14 in November should help too. Once again thank you so much I feel so much better :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Really

You're very welcome. And I'm glad you're fine. You sound like a smart kid. They're lucky to have you. :slight_smile: