1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduate Studies- Physician Assistant

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mbrow066, Aug 13, 2015.

1. mbrow066

mbrow066 Guest

I just started PA studies about 6 weeks ago. My class has around 90 students. I moved 4 hours away from my partner of 5 years. He is president at a small alternative investment firm so was unable to move while I attend this program.

Today I was scheduled for a professional development session with my program advisor. She complimented me on my performance within the program and expressed that she had no doubt that I would pass with flying colors. However, she stated that she was concerned about social isolation. Without going into detail about the conversation, I basically told her that I was adjusting. I also assured her that I wasn't antisocial but introverted and that it has always taken me time to adjust to new surroundings.

The real issue:
    I'm in a very competitive medical program, half of the students are conservative Christians (which isn't a problem for me, but I have had issues in the past), and I'm not sure about personal beliefs of the faculty. I'm really struggling with deciding whether or not I should come out. Ive never been one to play straight, nor have I ever been one to proclaim my sexuality. I am very good at playing the ambiguous guy though. Being in this situation has caused me to feel as though I need to isolate myself. This may sound like an illegitimate fear to some but, when giving advice, please remember that the stakes are very high for me. My chief concern is how the faculty will view me and whether any of them may harbor prejudices that could affect my grades. Objective tasks, such as tests and quizzes, aren't particularly distressing. Rather, its the subjective assignments that I am concerned about.

To add to the situation, I dont feel like any of my classmates really know me. I'm almost like a robot without any personal history or life outside of school which, I believe, is hindering me from forming close friendships.

It has become so psychologically distressing that keeping my identity a secret seems as though it is hurting me much more that it is helping me.

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:icon_sad: