1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mischief, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Mischief

Mischief Guest

So, as some may know, I'm going to be coming out (as trans) on Wednesday next week at school. Thing is, I'm an overly paranoid person, so I am preparing for the worst. Harassment, maybe violence. Does anyone know how much at risk a trans person is of violence?

2. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it depends on how transgender people are generally treated in your area. For instance if anyone came out as transgender at my school the worse that would happen would be that the minority of people found it disgusting and weird, but most people would be completely fine with it, and I know some people would actually think it was awesome.
    Of course, New Zealand is a very liberal country so I'm not sure how it would compare to Australia. We're similar but I think there is quite a bit more transphobia and homophobia there. What is the opinion of LGBTQ people at your school?
    Congratulations on deciding to come out, you are being really brave.:kiss: Good luck!

3. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Thanks so much for the response, and how awesome that you're from new Zealand :grin: I haven't seen many new zealanders on here. My school is very ignorant when it comes to the subject of the LGBT+ community. Though, my teacher is very excited about me doing a presentation on it next week. I have never felt threatened by someone at my school, though I'm not sure about what people think about the trans* community. There have been some moments where people have said really ignorant things like "why would you choose to be transgender?"

But, overall, I think it's just lack of knowledge making people think it's weird or unnatural.

4. GreenPanRose270

As previous replies said, it would depend on where you live and go to school.
    My school is extremely accepting of LGBT+ students and rights; we have a GSA with a lot of influence within the school :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    We even have teachers who have come out as bi and genderfluid (just two examples)
    Good luck, and I hope your coming out goes well ^_^

5. randomconnorcon

If you say your school is ignorant but your teacher is good with things, then my advice would be to maybe stick around teachers and friends for a little bit. People you trust. At least until you know for sure how things will be. Chances are they just need to learn, but it's always better to feel prepared.

6. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ahaha another Kiwi here, basically. If you're 100% sure and ready, I think you'll be okay. Are you out to your family? Does your school have a GSA of some sort? Do you have a support network? Those are the big questions.

7. Mischief

Mischief Guest

@GreenPanRose270: Id like to think most people are open to learn, like I said, they think its unnatural due to ignorance. Its so cool that you've got such a strong support network in your school, I really envy it.

@randomconnorcon: I stick around my friends as well as possible, so that wont be hard. I'm going to be setting up a game plan with my teacher in case of any bullying that may occur.

@Ariseta: Another Kiwi! How awesome :grin: I'm as prepared as can be (I don't think I've actually been this prepared for anything in my life) about this. I am indeed out to my family, but am yet to tell them that I'm coming out at school. My school doesn't have a GSA sadly, but hopefully some day it will. My support network is my friends, family, and of course, all of you guys! :grin;

Thank you all for this, I'm starting to feel a lot more secure in doing this, without ruling out possibilities of course.

8. person57

good luck!! you can do this. you're a brave man! :slight_smile:

9. alli o

alli o Guest

I don't want to discourage you from coming out but please make sure you are safe first because there are very high violence rate for trans people and I just done wanna see you hurt

10. Mischief

Mischief Guest

@person87: Thanks so much! I'm hoping it goes well. Just two more days to go. :grin:

@alli o: Thank you for your concern, it means a lot to me. I am working closely with my teacher to ensure my safety. As a paranoid person, I am taking extra measures to stay safe. (*hug*)

11. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, you could always start the GSA yourself and maybe if you've got some friends? You'll probably need a cool teacher to get the whole thing started and who knows? maybe there is a whole bunch of other people just waiting for a GSA to pop up?

12. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Possibly.
    I don't have any friends who are LGBT, but they're all allies. I feel like people at my school would be too afraid to attend a GSA, to be honest. I don't really even know how to start one :lol:

13. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ah, well, allies are great too. It is a gay-STRAIGHT alliance after all.

I'm not too sure on what the steps are to starting a club at your school are but for mine, you'd talk to the dean or the school counselor and then fill out a form. You'd probably need a minimum of 5 members to start the club and a teacher to oversee everything and provide a classroom to meet in.

If you have time on your schedule, you should look into it. I'm sure there are some people out there wanting to find a place they can fit in. Probably best to do this after you're out and if its safe for you to do so.

Good Luck!! Routing for you from all the way over here.

14. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    TBH I feel like most people (myself included) assume that only LGBT people would want to join that.

Anyways to OP: Good luck! If You're worried how people in your school will react, just take a couple days and listen to how people treat each other and if there's any true racists or homophobes in your school. That can be a good indication. (Although some people at my high school used to call people faggot and refer to things as gay, they weren't homophobic).

15. Mischief

Mischief Guest

@Ariseta: I'll see what I can do. My school as a whole (the staff members) dont seem to be overly supportive of LGBT people, but we'll see.

@Geek: Thanks! I know most of the people at my school aren't homophobic, but I'm not sure about transphobia. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.