1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Tell Family About LDR?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Foz, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Foz

Foz Guest

So I'm in a fairly committed long distance relationship with another guy now, however at 2500 miles it puts the LD in LDR! I'm out to my sister and I hope to come out to my mum in the next week or so but I just don't know how to broach the subject of "yes I have a BF who lives in another country and yes I did meet him on the Internet".

I suppose it more advice on how to deal with (my mother's) concerns about meeting someone on the interwebs. It's not just a little thing, we talk several times a day, sometimes for hours and we have video chatted too. I have a pretty good idea of how she will react to me coming out but I just don't know the myriad of possibilities about telling her of this.

2. Mitchell

Well, you won't know until you find out.

As far as an LDR... Good luck! I know many people think different things. I'd just tell them, and hope they can understand.

3. Images and Words

I can't think why your parents would have a problem with it. The only argument against it would be "what if they're a bowel removing intestine munching killer rapist serial nutter" but at the end of the day, you know who they are. Your parents don't.

4. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can sympathize with your fear that your mom might be freaked out by the fact that you met your boyfriend on the the internet. My Mom is so freaked out by the internet that she was upset when she found out from my dad that I had my actual picture posted on Facebook! For this reason, I'd handle both things separately. First tell her that you're gay. Let that sink in. See what happens. Then tell her that you have a boyfriend on the internet. I do not know what advice to give you about the internet boyfriend other than if you guys Skype or FaceTime, maybe you can tell her and have him face time with you and her. Then she could see that he's normal. Don't know what else to tell you. Hope it works.

5. Foz

Foz Guest

Well I had my large intestine removed when I was 19 so that's no worry :lol: