1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know how to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BiKate, Aug 15, 2015.

1. BiKate

Ok so this will probably sound silly compared to other peoples problems. But I have no idea how to come out to my accepting family. I live with my parents and grandparents. My grandparents are a little bit homophobic but a overall accepting. They'd probably think it was a phase and not take it seriously for a while, but nothing too bad.
    My dad would just be surprised, and he'd maybe wonder if it was a phase too (I just broke up with an idiot male, so he might think it turned me off men or something lol). I know he'd just politely ask me how long I've known, if I'm really bi or actually just a full on lesbian and maybe some other little questions.

I don't know what my mum would say, and that scares me. Even though she's the most accepting person I've ever met and very supportive of lgbt rights. My dads son (Mums stepson) is gay, and that's never been an issue.

In fact, my mother is even going to a pride festival with me next month. I'd originally asked some friends to go with me, but when they couldn't, I suggested it to her, and she's excited for it. But she thinks we're both straight... But I'd kind of like her to know I'm bi before pride.

I guess I'm just scared that she's going to think it's all in my head, as it is kind of strange that it took my 19 years to figure out, when I come from such an accepting family. And I'm not really sure how she feels about bisexuals. I know she is supportive of gay and lesbian people, and trans, but she's never mentioned bisexuals.
    And I'm really not sure how to come out to her. I've come out to my friends through text, but I have to do it face to face with her. It would be pretty casual, but I'm just not sure how to throw it into conversation.

So yes, advice on coming out to accepting parents? I feel like I shouldn't be having any anxiety over this when some peoples parents will disown them for being lgbt, but there you go...

2. Yoyo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    anxiety is normal it comes hand and hand with fear. I'ed probley just tell them flat out, "I'm BI"

other than that all I can say to you is good luck (*hug*)

3. Really

Hi BiKate,

I also have an accepting family but have yet to figure out how to come out but I had a thought about the bi vs gay situation. If you don't want to get into a complicated conversation about you being bi and not gay, I wonder if you could tell your mom, for example, before you go to Pride, that, like most of the women who will be there, you also like women. i.e. also = as well as them / women as well as men. Of course she might ask for clarification but you can have something worked out beforehand if you need to.

I completely understand your hesitation despite having less to worry about than others. Even though it most likely won't be bad, awkwardness could arise. Which, in and of itself, would be upsetting when you have a close, happy relationship now.

4. djr

djr

I took jjust as long as you to come out too, and accept it. I am 19 and turning 20, and I am still having trouble seeing if I am lesbian or Asexual, because I have never had experience with girls before, but it seems more right to me. My friends/family probably think I am confused and I do not know what I am yet. That is the truth, and that is okay with them and me.

When I told my grandma she basically said "No you aren't lesbian..." and said no for a while but finally agreed with it, and molded into the thought. All is fine now, she knows Im trying to find myself.

I would say sit down with her, and say that you need to have a talk. I don't know how open you are with your parents (With my grandparents we are open to talking about things) but you know, just come out with it directly. tell them, if you don't want advice or judgement, tell them that before you say what you have to say. For example "I don't need advice, or anything, but I just want to tell you something that I have learned about myself. I have come to conclusion that I am bi/Lesbian"

I wish you all the luck! (*hug*)

5. BiKate

Thanks guys! Very helpful, but I'm still struggling.
    I'm not good with face to face talking when it comes to feelings or anything, even though I should be with my mum. I think I'm more worried that she just won't believe me, but I'm also worried she'll see me differently for a while (and it's probably all in my head).

I'll get there though. Maybe I'm just not quite ready, I only found out this year. But just before we were joking about how I could dress up for pride and she joked that I'd probably end up with girls hitting on me thinking I'm gay and laughed. I laughed with her, thought to myself "I sure hope so!" and then quickly changed the subject off of my sexuality. And then after I walked out of the room I got this kind of heavy hearted feeling, like I just wish she knew. I guess eventually I'll just blurt it out. Until then, at least I have you guys!! :slight_smile: