1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Need of a Break...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Malchik89, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Malchik89

Ok so i met my boyfriend through one of my best friends when i was back at college not too long ago. We sensed a chemistry between but i explained to him that i was going to go back home for a semester so that if we started going out, after this two weeks that he wouldn't see me for another 4 or 5 months. He told me that he didn't care, and that he would wait for me. So overwhelmed by his sweetness we started going out, and those two weeks were amazing. But now into the 2nd or 3rd week of being in a long distance relationship with him, im starting to feel stuck in a way. I care about him so much but it almost doesn't seem worth it if i can't see him everyday, so i thought that maybe it would be good to go on a break this semester, just to possibly meet new people and not feel so stuck, and then end the break once i go back to school in the fall and am able to see him again. So yeah just wanted to know what ya'll think of my little idea...

2. Nixon

try to pursue an open relationship

3. Pendrin2020

Just keep things in the open. Stay honest with each other about what's going on. He sounds like a real sweetheart, but if he honestly expects two weeks of dating to forge a strong enough connection to keep you together through 4-5 months of separation, you may want to look a little closer. That is a lot to ask that early in a relationship.

Long distance is really tough. I recommend you suggest to him what you suggested earlier. That you two take a break until school starts. He'll either be cool with it or he won't. It he's not, I'd be weary of him.

That's just me though.

4. -Michael-

I think it sounds fair, perhaps make a deal to be able to date other people but draw a lin at actually going out with someone else.
    It means you will still have some sort of relationship when you return and that you don't feel restricted while you're not with him.
    OR you could just do what you like...personally i wouldnt see a problem with a part time long distance relationship.
    There's nothing i would do that would hurt him....and getting with someone on a break never seems to work out in my eyes... (HAVE YOU SEEN FRIENDS!!!???) :wink:

Good luck.

5. myra

I'd say stick with him. I've been with my boyfriend for two years in january. We got off to a rocky start also. We'd been on two dates, and i got grounded for an "Indeffinate" amount of time. We ended up not seeing each other or being allowed to talk on the phone or anything for over three months! I wasn't supposed to have contact with him. But we did write letters back and forth. Its all we had. We ended up falling in love through those letters. I"m guessing you have more than letters to keep in contact too.

There's a saying something like "absence makes the heart grow fonder." BF and I just took a break from each other for just over a month and when we got back together this week, we were more in love than ever. If you think that he's someone you could fall in love with, stay in this relatioship with him. I mean, its only a few months. Time will drag by slowly, but if he's willing to wait, then let him. He obviously sees something in you. It could turn out to be the best relationship you've ever had.