1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MaybeBenji, Aug 16, 2015.

1. MaybeBenji

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, this is my first post and I've been putting it off for a while because I have no idea how to phrase it right but here it goes:
    I'm fairly certain I'm transgender (FtM). I started feeling weird about my gender about 3 years ago (middle school) but i wrote it off as just being awkward. So I ignored that feeling. About 2 years ago that feeling got worse. I had no idea that transgender was a thing but thought I would be happier if I had been born a boy. Now I am pretty sure I am trans*, but I don't know if I'm ready to change my current situation.
    I am safe, no worries there. But for whatever reason I'm afraid to tell anyone. I haven't even told my best friend even though I know she would be supportive. I really want to be happy. But I've always been afraid of change. I'm just worried that I won't be happier after I tell people and begin to transition. As of now my plan is to move away and cut all ties with the people I've known all my life but I know that won't be a good thing to do.
    Bottom line: Does anyone have advice for me to get over my fear of change and finally come out? I always get really close to telling someone and then chicken out last minute and I'm tired of that.
    I know that if I want to be the man I know I am, I need to "man up" and stop chickening out.

***Also I apologize if I phrased any of this in a way that can be offensive, I'm trying to get my point across and I'm fairly new to the LGBT+ community.

Any help is appreciated!:slight_smile:

2. PlatypusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You dont even have to do a "coming-out announcement", just be yourself. Do whatever you feel like, and go at your own pace! Dress, speak,and act witch ever way is most comfortable for you. If people notice and ask questions, have a statement prepared.
    - I dont discuss my personal business
    - sorry but thats private information
    - thanks for noticing, but im not interested in talking about it

Honestly is sounds like youre still pretty young and starting to get the hang of what youre feeling. take it easy and sit on it awhile. Do some research on FtoM, meet some people in real life who are trans, get to know a few gay guys or lesbians. Exposing yourself to this new world is whats going to help you feel adjusted. Plus you'll meet cool people along the way! Youre already awesome for coming to the site! feel free to add me

congrats!

#2 PlatypusBear, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  3. alli o

alli o Guest

you don't sound quite ready to come out yet to the public (sort of the same situation I am in) you have come out to yourself and are happy in the closet you feel safe and comfy and aren't quite ready to leave but you feel as if it is necessary as someone whispering from the outside to just peek out my advice is to wait maybe a month to a year more and from what I have herd is at some point you feel so comfortable with yourself and will be so ready to come out you will just want to shout it at the world but as for you only you know when you will be/are ready and when that time comes I want to wish you luck and for you to know I support you in every way