1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Advice: Please Read

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ccarney, Aug 17, 2015.

1. ccarney

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi my name is Chloe. I am 14 years old and will be attending high school this upcoming fall. I have, for the past year or so, been questioning my sexuality. I have felt that I may be bisexual yet have more of preference for girls. I want to come out to my parents and friends and family but I don't want to come out as bisexual and have them think I'm just confused? I don't know how I could/would come out? I don't even know how to be sure I am bisexual...I don't know..Any advice?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could use the terms "LGBT," "queer," "questioning," or "not straight." If anyone asks, you can just say you're still figuring things out and can't be more specific than that at the moment.

3. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, the "it's just a phase" is a common response to LGBT young teens. I've seen, at least online (not here on EC though) that people are "bisexual" just because it's cool and there are a lot of stigmas around bisexuality.
    As for coming out, do you know your parent's stance on the LGBT+ community? If not, you could hint it to them using general news/things like that.
    From personal experience, coming out to close friends is probably best to do first. They're also less likely to think you're confused or too young to know :slight_smile:
    My orientation is similar, but it's also so confusing. I don't know how to label it right so I go with bi. Maybe you could describe your attractions?

Well, I probably didn't help but I'm glad if you got something out of this. Welcome to EC :slight_smile:

4. GreenPanRose270

For now, if you're not entirely sure, you could say that you're "questioning" or "definitely not straight" since you've figured out that much.
    Also, it is possible to be bi with a preference.
    Good luck with high school! ^_^