1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help my pride is showing!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by summersforecast, Dec 29, 2008.

1. summersforecast

I don't know how much longer I can stay in the closet. No I'm not depressed it's just that ever since joining EC I've just been so proud to be a part of this community of great people and it's like Ive lost my motivation to be in the closet. The weird part is that I don't know weather that's a good thing because I could be making a big mistake by comming out right now. I just gave my little sister a pride speach without even realizing it. I don't know do you think I would be making a mistake by comming out right now?(that is to like everyone)

2. Cool Beans

I think I kind of know how you feel there; every day I feel like the veil over my homosexuality is getting thinner and thinner. For me, though, I don't feel that I'm ready for everyone around me to know, and I don't think I'd have very much support if I came out. Those are very important matters... do you feel like you're ready for everyone to know? It's irrevocable once you do it. And do you think people will be accepting? If you can name at least 5 people who you think will be completely supportive, that's a good thing. So now you have those two things to ponder. Whatever you decide, good luck!

3. Mind Freak

I had the same thing happen to me!
    Except I thought about it; and I really wouldn't be happy if everyone knew.

I'm not strong enough for the possible backlash yet ya know?

And life is good as it is; I try not to fix what isn't broken.

4. No One

SIREN SIREN ok this EXACT thing happend to me and all im going to say is no its not bad that your proud but make sure that you are ready to deal with the consiquences of comeing out.

PM if you need to talk.

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you really feel ready to come out entirely, and you're aware of the possible consequences, and you're comfortable with it all, do it.

6. summersforecast

I just don't know weather I'm thinking clearly or I'm just feeling proud. But it's like I've lost any motivation I had to be in the closet. I always thought that when I came out to my family I'd have a boy friend there to help me through it does that sound stupid? Maybe coolbeans is right that I need at least a hand full of people that would be supportive.

7. No One

no thats not stupid and yea maybe you do need a hand full of people maybe you dont do what feels right to you.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depending on the family and the situation, a boyfriend won't necessarily be a boon when you come out to your family. Some parents tend to play the "blame game", and will think "This guy made my son think he's gay". And it may set things up as "sides" - "Are you with your FAMILY, or with this GUY?" This isn't true of most families, thankfully, but it can and does happen.

The key thing is to move at a pace that's right for you. If you're fairly certain that your family will be accepting, then sure - go ahead. If you're pretty sure it'll cause major strife, then hold off.

Lex

9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I know what you mean. So far, I have told friends who would be ok with my coming out. The hard step now is those whom I'm not sure about and then parents/ grandparents whom will most likely not accept that part of my life.

So be proud and come out to those you trust first.

10. summersforecast

My parents already know and they're not taking it so well. My oldest sister would probably be ok with it but I've talked to rest of them to see how they feel and they're all closed minded. The worst part about it is having tree macho-headed brothers who are completely homophobic(one of them has a bisexual girl friend but still is unnaccepting of gays). My three other sisters think homosexuality is against gods will(one of them is a nun and will never be able to fully accept my sexuality)

So basically I would have one person on my side from my family

11. TheRoof

you should take time, i guess.
    if they really love u, they'll accept you eventually
    i mean, that's what i hope my famiy would do...

12. ColdSnap

you've got to take it at your own pace, as far as i'm concerned, i knew when i was ready, i started with a few close friends, then a few less close friends, my family, then people at work over the course of about 3 weeks. It's different for everyone, i think everyone needs 'the first' the best friend, the person you can talk to for hours about the way you feel, and then eventually you'll get to a point where you want to tell other friends, and then, it's like a domino effect.

It'll get to a point anyway after telling a few people where you won't even have to come out, lots of people will ask you having heard from someone else and being curious as to if it's true, and then you just have to say yeah it is :slight_smile:

bottom line, if you're ready, then go for it, when the fear of being closeted forever becomes bigger than the fear of what people think then it's time :slight_smile: x