1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kellian, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I'm new to this whole transgender thing so I may get somethings wrong every now and than, I'm sorry. Now to my problem.

How the heck do I come out the my family!? My mother says she doesn't think being trans is normal and my father is a religious person and think transgenders are ill! I have known I'm male on the inside for a long time and thought it was just my mind being stupid. I've been trying to hint to my mother about it but I think it's going over her head. I don't know what to do and I'm worried I've heard stories were families abandon kids or beat them half to or to death.

Plus when is the best time to tell them? Should I do it with my mother first then my bothers and lastly my father? I'm just freaking out not even my friends know about this.

2. MetalRice

I can't tell you the best course of action you should take, especially since your family appears to be problematic in this case, if you are as afraid of coming out to them as you seem to be; it may be better if you work on moving out and getting your own place if possible first so that you can do it safely away from them.

3. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wish I could move out, but I'm too young, going into my second year of high school, and have no family that I know of to go live with.
    :icon_sad:

4. Adcarne

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I cant imagine how hard this must be for you, but there is always a way. You mentioned that your friends do not know yet, well do you have any friend/s you can truly trust? If so, I recommend telling him/her because if this person was truly someone you was close with, then they should understand. Having someone who you can trust knowing can take a huge weight off your shoulders, trust me as I have been discussing my orientation with my best mate and he has listened everytime and makes me feel a lot better having someone I can discuss things with.

In terms of your family, if you really want to tell them then maybe you can show to your mother that being trans isnt weird as you cant help what you and your body feels. Also, you didnt mention much about your brother, if he isnt against it then you could go to him first and he could then show your mother that if he can accept it, then so can she.

Thats really all the help I can give, Im not trans myself but I hope the information I gave can help you.

5. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you, I don't really have any friends that I trust most of them I don't know where they stand on caring or not. I think I have one friend I could trust but she's sisters with a friend of mine whom goes to church and youth groups, and she also has a big mouth.
    "Also, you didnt mention much about your brothers, if he isnt against it then you could go to him first and he could then show your mother that if he can accept it, then so can she."
    That's because I'm not sure how they see it. My twin would most likely take it the hardest because we're so close but he doesn't really like the trans idea it finds it odd. My older brother is 20 so he doesn't really care about anything.

Edit: I forgot to say I'm the pride and joy of my mother being the only 'girl' child she has.

#5 Kellian, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  6. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So update!~
    Turns out my aunt is a lesbian! :grin: So I could talk to her about it, but she lives pretty far and my family doesn't really like her. Not the point I'm not alone in my family! *huggles random people from the happiness

7. MetalRice

Oh goodness, that's great!, I'm so glad you have someone you can relate to in your family.

8. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes it's awesome!~ <3

9. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out to my parents really quickly, so it was like ripping off a bandaid. I did talk to a friend about it first, but I didn't have any time to prepare. I suggest you do it fast, but prepare for it well and wisely. Feel free to leave a message on my wall if you need any help or advice, and good luck! (*hug*)

10. FootballFan101

Lol I am the same I have a gay cousin he lives far away too

11. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aw, the problem with that is: I could break my mother's heart, being the only 'Girl' of the family, I could get back lash from them (I've heard bad, bad stories about kids coming out to their family and them getting killed), And I'm a worry-wart, so I've sicced myself out so many times because of thoughts. ^-^; Plus why would you rip off a bandaid they just fall of in a few days. (I'm sorry I needed to make a joke) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: