1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MtF coming out advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TimeTraveler, Aug 19, 2015.

1. TimeTraveler

i'm considering coming out to my parents soon about my gender and i really have no idea how to do it if anyone has some advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

2. YinYang

Are your parents accepting of the lgbtqa+ community? Do they support marriage equality? Do they seem homophobic at all?

3. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The most important thing that you need to come to terms with is that it will take time for your parents to accept you fully as transgender. You wrote that you came out before and as such this will be closer to a reinforcement of the first coming out attempt. In general, they will try most likely try to persuade you that you are wrong. They might become increasingly hostile justifying their actions through the thought that they are helping you as being transgender will make your life much harder in their eyes.

I'm glad that your parents didn't respond as badly as they could, during the first time you came out. It means that in time, they will learn to accept you for who you are and will be there later on in your life once they come to terms with the revelation. I think that the biggest mistake that I made was to fail to understand that it can take a while for family members to come to accept the fact that you are transgender. I responded really badly when they didn't accept me immediately and it created a very negative atmosphere around the idea that I am transgender. It is important to make it clear that not transitioning means a life time of pain. However, this knowledge should be used as part of a more positive perspective of being transgender. That transitioning will save you so much pain and will make you feel much more comfortable and happy with your body and self. That it will allow you to establish a stable identity and live a normal life. The experience of transitioning will also help you grow spiritually and learn a lot about life.

I hope it goes well and I wish you the best of luck, if you have any questions feel free to message me,

Much hugs,

(*hug*)

Yael

4. TimeTraveler

they are supporting of most of it, they have said some things in the past though..

(*hug*) thanks, i appreciate it i think i'm going to try and tell them tomorrow! if i find the right which hopefully won't be that hard.

5. MetalRice

I would prepare yourself to deal with backlash if it happens through, my parents haven't been fairly accepting of the fact that I am transgender so far, and I made sure to prepare myself to deal with this possibility just in case it happened before I came out; so it would be safe for you if you did the same.

Just stay safe, and I hope it goes well.

6. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out in January, but I was forced to because my mom demanded to know why I was so depressed. Honestly, I made her guess until she thought of an answer. I suggest you be prepared for anything to happen, as well as try to do it fast, like ripping off a band-aid. They'll also hopefully warm up to it in time, so don't worry on that front. But YMMV, so leave me a message if you ever need better advice. (*hug*)