1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I/should I come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Canterpiece, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As you can probably tell from my current out status (or at least when I wrote this post that is) that I was outed by my "so called" friends to most of my old school. :dry: I was walking with my dad today and lately he's been asking why I've been feeling down recently. I've kind of half told him in the sense that I told him that some one I was friends with told a secret of mine to other people, but I haven't told him what the secret was (my sexuality).

I feel like I should tell him because I really want to join this LGBT society club when I go to college that I've heard about in their leaflets but I feel like I'll need to tell him eventually if I ever want to be a member of the group. But at the same time I can't seem to bring myself to do it. :bang:

With my mum it's a little different, she has been homophobic in the past (her first reaction to two girls kissing on TV was "eww") but she has gotten a lot better. She used to use vague terms when it came to talking about dating, but she asked me once when we were doing about our "ideal partners" in German and we had to practice at home. Since I couldn't bring myself to respond, she took that to mean I'm straight (which obviously isn't true :lol::newcolor:slight_smile:.

They have said many times that they're not homophobic, but somehow I can't bring myself to do it. :help:

#1 Canterpiece, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, the homophobic but claim not to be parents. That's my story right there. In my case, my mom supported marriage equality, but she was ok with using gay as an insult and dislikes non binaries. I was accepted by my mom and my dad was sort of meh about it.
    I think that you should come out if it feels right for you. I know lots of people give this advice, but it's true. It seems that your parents might have a little hesitation at first if you were to come out, but I believe that they would come to accept you.
    Good luck (*hug*)

#2 DreamerBoy17, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  3. MetalRice

If you feel right about coming out and want to do then go for it; but only you can make that choice.

4. Welshgay16

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my mum yesterday , the hardest part for me was creating the right atmosphere and getting onto the topic , but i found a great way of doing it , read my posts if u want to see what it is , but i suggest that you say to your dad , do u know that secret i told you one of my freinds spreaded , well it was that im gay ,the hardest part is getting the words out , it just slipped out in my case i couldnt believe i said it and afterwards i was shocked at how easy it was to say after the really hard build up and i was shaking before i said it , but once youve told your dad , it might be easyer to tell your mum because you know what it feels like , and you can work on the thinks you didnt do or say the first time , good luck let us know how u got on , and you dont need to rush into it , there was an 18 month gap between the first time i came out and when i told my mum

5. Foz

Foz Guest

First off, LGBT societies are not exclusive 'out people only clubs, many people who are part of them will go to their meetings but not associate with them publicly. You're dad seems a bit more open, in the worst case scenario it's best to have one parent on your side, you also don't appear to be a risk should you come out so I don't think it's something you have to wait for. The timing and method is down to you and whether you feel comfortable coming out yet, I'm 7 years older than you and I've still not come out to my mum!

If you think there's just a bit too much tension coming out by letter could be the better option for you.

6. ApexxShadow

It's always hard to come out. Only you can know when you're ready. But once you're ready, it's still really hard. Go with what you think is best :slight_smile:. First things to consider is that you're physically safe. If your parent's aren't homophobic, I say go for it, but it's up to you. I hope all goes well, and feel free to message me on my wall at any time

7. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Do whatever feels right for you! If you trust them to accept you, then do it now. If not, then you'll have to do it eventually, sadly. I suggest telling them fast, like ripping off a band-aid. If you want to talk, feel free to drop me a message.

#7 HopefulRebecca, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015