1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Email

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noodle72, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've spent quite some time now building up the courage to come out, and I'm really hoping I can actually do it before the summer ends. I know who I want to come out to, she's a really close friend of mine and I know for sure that she's not transphobic or homophobic. I've written out an email and I've decided that soon, I'm gonna send her an email and text her telling her that I sent her an important email, and then in the email I've asked her to Skype me after. I'd just like to know if this is a good email, because I tried to make my point clear and still have some of my personality in there. So I'd like to know if there's anything I should add or remove to make it better.
    Thanks in advance for advice! :slight_smile:
    Ok here's the email:

yo [friend's name]

This might seem kind of weird and random for me to email you and be like 'yo it's important' but it really is important so yeah

I've been working up the courage to tell you this for a while, and so here I am, finally doing it.

Ok here it is: I'm a boy. (wait, what?)

I'm a transgender boy.

Yeah, I could see that being surprising to you. It probably is.

I would very much like to Skype after you read this, so I can talk about it and answer any questions you have. But first, I'll try to answer at least a few questions you might have.

I don't want you to tell anyone else, since you're the first person I'm coming out to. Although I might want some help coming out to other people in the future.

In the future I'd like to go by the name Evan and male pronouns, but as I said, I'm not exactly out of the closet, so please stick with Emily and female pronouns for now. But if we're talking and it's just the two of us, please think of me as Evan.

Feel free to ask me anything about being transgender, but try not to be rude about anything (although I doubt you will).

Also, if I ever want to talk about how I'm trans or complain about being misgendered or something, I'd like it if you'd be there for me, but if you find it annoying, don't hesitate to tell me. I've been looking for an internet friend lately and I could always rely on them for stuff like that.

If you misgender me when we're in a situation where no one else would hear/see, then I'd like it if you'd apologize and correct yourself but don't make a big deal out of it. It'll be hard for me to get used to as well. And I might not even notice before you correct yourself.

Also: my gender and sexuality have nothing to do with each other. But also, I'm actually gay. And by that, I mean I like boys. Cause I am a boy. But I'm also panromantic. So romantically, I like other genders too.

OH WAIT

before you go on Skype for any more questions or anything, I remembered this really cool video that explains how to be a good trans ally, so I'd like you to watch that and see if it helps.

here it is: How To Be A Good Trans Ally

OK now get your smelly awesome butt on Skype so you can have your first conversation with me knowing that I'm a boy!

quick note for advice givers: the video that I linked in the email is by Ashley Mardell, idk how to link videos on this website.
    But THERE IT IS!
    I like it, but I've never come out before so I don't know if it's good.
    Advice please! :slight_smile: