1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my pastor, next stop....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by zgirl81, Aug 21, 2015.

1. zgirl81

My family!

Coming out to my pastor went really well. I asked what he thought about the LGBT community, and he said that there are a lot of broken people there. (which is true) So I asked what he thought of Christians that are LGBT, and he said "That's fine. There are Christians who are all sorts of things." And then I told him I was Bi, and he looked me in the eyes and said, "Well, I can definitely say I'm 100% sure you're not going to Hell if that's what you're worried about."

Needless to say, I'm feeling really good today.

Next stop: Coming out to my very conservative and religiously fundamental family! The only hitch in my giddyap is that I want to synch up with my sister so we can come out together to our parents. I want to support her since coming out as trans will be absolutely much harder than my revelation of bi/pan.

Can anyone think of a creative way for a joint coming out? Letters and calm conversation are great, but not really my style... and I want to have something to do so that if they're stunned we can lose ourselves in action until they can finish thinking and respond.

2. hullaballoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah that's splendid to hear! (btw what a very open-minded pastor you have)
    Creative way hmm: bake a cake with what you want to say on it (bonus points if its a rainbow one), put it on a t-shirt etc
    I'm not much help :frowning2: but maybe check out these sites?:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/24-awesomely-creative-ways-to-come-out-of-the-closet#.afxVdPdnr
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/41-awesome-ways-to-come-out-to-your-friends-and-family
    10 Fun Ways to Come Out to Your Friends - Coming Out Stories
    -
    Good luck!

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! I think the fact that your pastor is supportive can help appease your family if they have religious objections.

4. Momosboy

Honestly, I can think of only one solution. MUSICAL NUMBER!!!

5. klix

Maybe your pastor could be there to support you both and reason with any family objections?

6. Aviator182

Great job on taking the first step and telling someone. That is fantastic that your pastor is supportive. Maybe having your pastor there when you tell your family will help you becuase they'll be an ally, but also help your family with learning to accept you. Good luck!

7. zgirl81

Rainbow cake could be fun. :slight_smile: I do love to bake!

Hah! A musical number would actually be very appropriate for my family. My mom's a piano teacher, and my dad sings a lot. As kids we were very involved in community theatre musical productions too. (!)

I would love to bring my pastor, but since my dad is also a pastor I think it'll be easier if we just come out as a family unit. Less drama that way since my dad believes he's always right anyways. :slight_smile:

I also have a bit more time to plan now. After talking with my sister we've decided to wait until February before coming out. That'll be 1 year since she came out to the first person as trans and is kinda a really fun milestone to commemorate in that sense.

Good ideas so far! I'm loving the input.

8. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh that is so amazing! I work at a church and nobody at the church knows about it. Worried I'll lose my job yadda yadda, so hearing that your Pastor was so kind about it is so awesome!

I don't really have any good ideas about the coming out! I hope that everything goes great!!