1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CharlD91, Aug 21, 2015.

1. CharlD91

CharlD91 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm about to start University (for the 2nd time) and am nervous about moving 100s of miles away from home and starting a difficult course as well as a new job and meeting new friends.
    At home I'm not out to many people as I know my parent's wouldn't handle it very well (They've made comments) so I've only told people I can trust to not tell them. Being so far away I know word shouldn't spread back to my parents but I am unsure whether to be completely open with my new colleagues in regards to who I am.

I honestly think it shouldn't matter, and that I make friendships with those around me using my personality not my sexuality. However, would it be easier to be myself if people knew?

I just don't know what to do. :bang::bang:

2. Lyana

Hi, CharlD91.

I'm going to guess you're in your early twenties. You've already been to uni, so you probably have some idea of what to expect. Moving might be scary, but it's also liberating in a big way. The newness of it all -- your course, your job, the people you don't know -- is intimidating, but it's also exciting. It's a new experience. I hope you'll make the most of it, because it can be a lot of fun.

In my opinion, uni is one of the best places, not only to come out, but to be out. Particularly since you're an adult and you'll be far away from a home that isn't very accepting of you. So if you want to come out and experience what it is to be out, then yes, I would recommend you do it at uni, since you have this great opportunity.
    If your uni has anything like an LGBT group, or is in a city where they might have one, consider attending a couple meetings. It's not only about coming out, but about meeting people, especially in a new city.

But you sound unsure. There really is no rush to come out. You don't have to tell people you're bi when you meet them for the first time. You don't have to tell them, period. If you're not comfortable with people knowing, then don't tell them.
    If you would like to come out but are nervous, maybe try to approach it a little differently. Don't think of it as making an announcement, but as simply not hiding. Things like wearing a rainbow bracelet, commenting on how attractive an actress is, mentioning how huge it is that gay marriage passed in the US earlier this year, talking about a piece of LGBT-related news. You shouldn't force it, but don't censor yourself.
    People might not know for sure, but they may suspect or ask. And even if they don't, you'll be yourself and comfortable with it. And if you meet a lady you're interested in, you'll be able to slip her into the conversation, just as you would mention a guy you've started dating.