1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help to come out as bi to my family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BiAndSingle, Aug 23, 2015.

1. BiAndSingle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok. So I'm a 13 year old that turns 14 this year and I need help to come out as bi to my family, I have come out to some friends but I want to tell my family but I'm nervous to tell them. Can someone please help me with some advice!!

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Do you have a family member that you're closer to? You could start with telling them since it'll be a bit easier. Also do you think your family will be accepting? If they're really unaccepting people and you think telling them could be dangerous, then I would wait. But assuming this isn't the case, then you just go for it. It'll be nerve-racking but since you've come out to others you may have experience with that.

If you're telling one family member at a time you could wait until you're alone with them or ask them to talk, or even get others in the house to run errands or something. Then you could just tell them. There's no right way to tell them, just what feels right to you. I'm sure you'll do fine:slight_smile:

I don't know about your family but depending on how they are it is possible they might be in denial about it at first, which is normal. If they say things like "Well how can you be sure?" then be patient and calm with them. It could come as a shock so they might act sort of edgy about it at first (not necessarily though). If this does happen, just treat them with the patience you want them to treat you with. They may want to ask questions and stuff which might get kind of annoying especially when you've just come out but just try to stay patient and calm with them.
    Like I said, I don't know what you're family is like but I think they'll probably react better than you may expect. What makes me feel better is watching "coming out live to parents" videos on Youtube and in the vast majority of them the kids coming out are very nervous and emotional and the parents are completely fine with it and loving and even worried that their kids are so worked up about it.

I wish you the best of luck! Although for further advice you may want to provide more info about what your family is like.
    (*hug*)

3. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't exactly think you should tell your whole family at once, I think you should tell maybe your parents first then your siblings (If you have any). It'll be easier to move slowly.

4. DeadheadPride

Agreed. If you're looking for a way how, maybe ease into it, like with a conversation? A way I came out to a group of my friends was I asked the question, "If you're going to end up in hell, why would you be going?" and after everyone responded, I said "If being gay is a sin, I'm going to hell because I'm queer as f*ck." And everyone laughed and realized what I said. I think it was an easy way to slide into it and they took it pretty nicely.