1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A step in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Erzulie, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Erzulie

So this weekend I told my dad that I didn't want to have my own natural kids. I'm not out to him at all but I guess this was a step in the right direction, and it sort of came up in conversation. My main reasons for this are not just because I'm gay, so I told him the gist of my reasons and he was, after some explanation, understanding. At first he was like "oh you don't even want even one of your own kids?" but then he came around to the idea a little more.

My reason for not wanting my own kids is mainly because there are so many kids that need homes (foster or permanent) that I feel like I would be selfish to want my own. (I don't judge others that do want their own kids, and I understand why people do, I just don't feel that need myself) I also really don't want to go through the experience of being pregnant/giving birth. I am also really patient with kids (a lot of my older friends and cousins have kids so I have a lot of practice), and I think I would be really good at dealing with foster kids. So I told him all this and told him that a lot of people just do it to get the money and don't use it for the actual children that I want to be one of the "good ones" and try to make a difference in someone's life. I hope that after he thinks on it some more that he will be proud of me for wanting to be a positive influence on a young person's life.

Sorry for ranting a little, but it's something I feel strongly about. Hopefully I can come out to him and my mom one day, even though I know that that day is super duper far away.

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm exactly the same :slight_smile: No need to apologise for ranting.
    It's really good that you were able to tell him this. Maybe it will serve as a foothold for when you do decide to come out to him :slight_smile: hope everything goes well for you! :slight_smile:

3. Erzulie

Thanks! Actually today I was helping him at his office and one of his patients told him she was gay. I didn't hear their conversation but he told me and my mom about it when we were in the car and he said "That's just the way that some people are born" (in a good way). I don't know if he would react so well if he found out it directly affected him though, but I really wanted to ask him how he would feel if someone closer to him came out to him, but i'm pretty sure that me asking would probably give it away... :/ but it's another step!

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome, it sounds like you have some very open-minded parents. :slight_smile: