1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally coming out of my closet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by QuietFishy, Aug 25, 2015.

1. QuietFishy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am out to a few friends but I am finally ready to be fully open about it but, I don't want to tell every single person I know at school. My school can be kinda harsh but has its accepting people and I will probably be called a few names but I have dealt with worse and can stand my ground if I have to.I don't fit a ton of gay stereotypes so people don't just automatically assume Im gay. I am tired of living in my closet(its kinda dark and dingy and starting to smell) :slight_smile:.

So is there any way to come out without having to tell everyone you know or act like all of the gay stereotypes?

2. FootballFan101

Maybe get your friends to tell people in your school that you want to be out to for you

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you need to have confidence in the people you do decide to tell and trust them to be reasonably discreet. If someone has a reputation for gossiping, don't tell them.

Coming out is more about being honest and open with people you care about - people you trust, than telling all to everyone. I consider myself as out, but that doesn't mean every acquaintance and colleague at work knows my sexual orientation. Many do and I don't avoid the subject of my sexuality, but I don't go out of my way to announce it either, because it would feel really odd.

Tell your friends, by all means, but make them aware that it's not for 'broadcast'.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to act like any gay stereotypes, just quit acting like the straight stereotypes if you are doing that, and be yourself. It won't look very different from what it looked like last week.

5. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

First, you shouldn't act like anything you're not. I mean, if you don't know someone that well it doesn't really concern them anyway. But if you want to feel like you're not hiding it anymore, just be honest with people. If sexuality comes up in conversation, you can tell them you're gay or don't be afraid to correct people who assume you're straight and treat you as such.
    If you want to just come out to everyone, you could do it on facebook or other social media if you have one.