1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Trying

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sharkweek, Aug 25, 2015.

1. sharkweek

This year I finished high school and in the process of that, had come out to my friends as transgender. That went very wonderfully and most of them had actually claimed to put the pieces together long before I had.

However, I decided to hide from my parents for a little while because I knew of the stress and pain that it will cause my entire family. To them, people like Caitlyn Jenner are living jokes.

Regardless of their transphobic behavior, I decided that I didn't want to run away and transition and never speak to them again. I came out and the entire conversation had quickly been directed to asking if I wanted my body mutilated and why I couldn't accept the way God made me. After that, my parents continue to pretend as if the conversation hadn't happened unless they are upset with me - always keeping it in a negative place. There have been months of arguments to the point my friends' parents offer me places to stay and I had actually left until my mom told me she missed me.

I'm home again, but feel like I've lost hope. I know my parents love me and I don't want to lose them, but I can't stand it much longer.

2. BidiKlum

sharkweek, sometimes we have to go and find our own family. There are so many people out there who will support you and build you up rather than tearing you down. If your parents can't accept who you are, then they don't deserve to have you in their life!

I would be completely honest, and tell them that their rejection is killing you, and that you can't stay in this kind of hostile environment. Tell them that you are moving back out, and won't be coming back until they can accept you for who you are.

Your trump card here (and I'm totally quoting Dan Savage, look him up!) is YOU - your parents want to be part of your life, and YOU can decide on what terms that is going to be.

You can get through this, and whether your parents come around or not you will eventually find friends who can become your second family.

Good luck and hang in there. xx