1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

accepting yourself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sam, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Sam

Sam

I think everyone on this website wants acceptance especially from their family and friends but before they do that they need to accept themselves. I was in denial for a long time because I didn't want to admit to myself who I really was. When I finally started to admit it I told my friends and later my family, I came out as bisexual. I have been in relationships with guys and girls but while I find some men attractive I never felt complete or "right" in a relationship with a guy but since I was attracted to men too I considered myself bisexual but now over the last few months I have realized that I can never be happy in a relationship with a man.

It's not that they are bad people in fact the relationships that I have been in with men would be any straight woman's idea of a great relationship. I am having a difficult time accepting that I really am wow I don't even like typing it and I don't know why, its stupid that I can't, alright lesbian I said it. It's like trying to accept myself all over again except this time it's much harder. I feel like the worst daughter and friend because my parents and friends and even I had some hope that I would lead a "normal" life, get married (to a man), have kids, get old and die and I feel like I'm going to rip that away from them by admitting that I'm never going to get married to a man. Am I just going to go up to everybody I have told and tell them no I was wrong I am a lesbian not bisexual? I mean if I was wrong before what will make them want to believe me now? I am still not happy with it myself how am I supposed to admit it to them? It is so fucking crazy. (sorry)

Sam

2. Jersey4Life

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My dream as a child was to grow up and go to college, move on to law school, and somewhere along the way fall in love with a woman and have kids. However, after realizing I was gay, I had to drop the falling in love with a woman and having kids with her part of my dream. It wasn't easy, but like with a lot of other things in life, I had to accept it and just move on. My mom wants grandchildren and talks about it all the time, and I just have to accept the fact that it won't happen. But through it all I realized something important. I had to love myself for whoever it was that I was going to be, and be honest with myself about everything. If no one else cared or understood, I knew that I atleast had myself.

I think you will be able to tell your loved ones that you're lesbian one day, when you think it's appropriate for you and the right thing to do for yourself, just like one day I will have the courage to do it as well. But until then, take the opportunity to learn and love yourself and not worry so much about other people.