1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who did you come out to first?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mochii, Aug 26, 2015.

1. mochii

I'm in the process of coming out (it might take a while) and I'm curious to see who you guys came out to first, for those of you who have come out.

I want to tell my best friend and family members first, but I have a feeling I might tell my roommates before anyone because it feels easiest.

So yeah, feel free to share!

2. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The first person I came out to was my cousin and she was totally supportive of me. We became closer because of it. :slight_smile: afterwards I came out to other cousins and my best friend of over 20+ years, he's straight but he's my biggest supporter.

3. Juli

I came out (partially) to my brother first. He was making some really homophobic comments and I got tired of it. I wound up ranting at him for about 30 minutes.

4. 50ishandout

On my 51st birthday to a dear couple that mean so much to me.

#4 50ishandout, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  5. BidiKlum

This is so awesome. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

6. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My brother who said he was very disappointed in me. Well, I had kind of seen it coming, since he was homophobic before.

7. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my best friend first. My advice is that the first person you tell should be either part of or vocally supportive of the LGBT+ community, if possible. Tell the people who will most likely accept you first, and then you have their support for coming out to others if you need it.

8. BiKate

One of my friends. She's not even really that great of a friend, but she's the one I felt most comfortable and at ease telling. Not that my other friends aren't supportive, but I guess with her I just knew it wouldn't be a big deal.

9. mochii

Wow, that seems like the way to do it:eusa_clap

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2015 at 12:14 PM ----------

This is kinda the way I feel about it, although I'm sure my best friend would be a little upset if she knew I felt better telling other friends before her.

10. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom as bi, my friend as trans

11. KayJay

Therapist (went awfully), brother, step mother, father and then a friend in that order.

My therapist basically told me to ignore my "feelings" and get my life in place and if it still "bugs me" I should "look into it" later. I generally refrain from hating on people but I have some choice words about her that's for sure.

My brother was amazingly wonderful. He has never used the wrong pronouns or names since I came out. As soon as I told him it was like a switch for him and he didn't mess up. I couldn't ask for a better brother. My step mother wasn't really supportive or accepting but she wasn't negative about it. She just didn't understand. She made me come out to my father right after I had come out to her because she was afraid she'd be too emotional to keep it a secret. So I came out to my dad right after... Twice in one night! We talked for hours about it. My dad barely said anything and only asked a few questions. Then my friend, who is one of my brother's good friends, was also supper supportive. He even went with me to my first ten appointments for trans related health care.

I suppose that over answered the question. I like talking though!

12. mochii

Well that makes me super upset. Nothing worse than a mental health professional telling you that your feelings aren't valid. But I'm happy everything worked out for you in the end. :slight_smile:

13. MilesmilesMiles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    One of my friends at vidcon.
    She proceeded to tell 5 of my other friends, without telling me who.
    I actually came out to one of those friends, who later told me that she already knew.
    At least I didn't have to go through the pain of telling 5 other people.

14. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the first person I came out to was one of my best friends, and on to then the rest of my friends from there. I'm lucky enough to have the kind of friends who were 100% chill (frankly I don't think they were surprised), so despite all the anxiety in the lead-up it was a relatively calm coming-out process.

(After that, I came out to my schoolfriends at large via a "Yes, yes, the rumours are true, yes, I'm bi." status...which was accidentally also me coming out to my mother, whose inactivity on social media had led me to kind of forget I had her as a friend or that she was able to see it. So that was an awkward conversation first thing the next morning!)

15. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I made the conscious decision of coming out to my sister first. She's been my closest confidante/ally all my life with the authority of a parental figure mixed in (she's older than me by 6 years) without entirely being a parental figure so I respect her quite a lot. She's also been a constant person who stuck by me and whom I trust with so much of my life's moments with so my gut feeling said go for it.

Fortunately, she was over the moon and was/is very supportive. :slight_smile:

16. mochii

Oh god that sounds like my worst nightmare! Luckily my mother and I agree to stay away from eachother's facebooks:lol:

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2015 at 11:26 PM ----------

That's great:slight_smile: Nothing beats supportive siblings.

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2015 at 11:28 PM ----------

Oh god outing people isn't cool, but I'm happy to hear it helped your situation:thumbsup:

17. BioBehemoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was kissing girls in the sandbox when I was in second grade. So, I never really told anyone. It was always just sort of known or guessed. o. o

18. LoveMarshmallow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm out to two of my best friends

19. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was 21 or 22. I told my parents and then I just was out. Everyone else just sort of found out.

20. lovetoomuch

I came out to my closest female friend and it was not really planned far in advance. I was tired of holding in the secret and needed someone to confide in. So, I came out to her one night when I was 17 years old. I didn't want to come out to any of my male friends because I feel like girls are more accepting (especially being a guy). To this day, only her and a guy I had a crush on know.

I think you should come out to someone who you know would be supportive and who you could talk to about relationships and such; if you have been in the closet for all this time, I am sure there is a lot you want to get off your chest (like I did, even though I have not went in-depth with anyone still).