1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To tell work/teammates or not? :/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Scottmcdonn, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Scottmcdonn

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello everyone :slight_smile: hard to believe I haven't been on this since April :/ a variety of reasons for that, I fell back into my usual trap of backing away from anything that may finally make me come out to people and accept who I am finally. I got a new job and it is my dream job, that part of my life has given me so much routine and stability that I feel in a good enough place that I want to finally talk to other gay people and finally accept it and ideally come out, mostly to my family, workmates and my teammates as I play alot of sport. Here's my quandry, I am going on a weekend trip with the lads as a end of season trip to do some team bonding etc. I am the youngest of the group but that has never bothered me! I feel like mentioning it just so it's out there especially considering the fact I am very attracted to one of my teammates so what to do? Do I just say it and leave it at that or? I feel it would give me closure and more confidence going forward.

Advice is always welcome and I apologise for the long spiel :slight_smile:

2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think as long as you are comfortable with it you should go for it. Judging by your age usually the older people are the more accepting they can be just from my experience because by now they know or have met someone who is gay where a lot of younger middle school high school age people are usually more standoffish.

A lot of people don't know I'm gay unless I tell them just because I'm not the stereotypical lesbian but what I usually do is if a few of my friends are talking about guys and ask my opinion of what I think or if he's hot etc I usually just say yeah I guess so but I'm into girls so I'm probably not the best one to ask and it avoids a long drawn out speech of every awkward ? People may have and let's them know my sexuality at the same time...everytime that has happened it went really well

3. BidiKlum

Hey, well I guess I would want to know if being out could cause problems for you at work or on the team (unclear if this is a work thing or a sports thing)? I know Ireland can be kind of conservative and the last thing you would want is for the guys to be jerks to you on a weekend where you are stuck being around them!

Or maybe if it came up kind of naturally in conversation over the weekend you could drop it then? Like in a conversation about girlfriends or hot girls or whatever? Maybe test the waters ahead of time, or tell one or two people first so that you have some guys on your side already?

Good luck! I don't want to put a damper on your being ready to come out (which in itself is SO awesome, and you should be really proud!) but I don't want you to end up in an icky situation. :slight_smile: