1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out over phone to brothers

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by n3e, Aug 27, 2015.

1. n3e

n3e

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, new user here,

I very recently came out to my parents which went well, but now they are the only people in my family that know. In a few weeks, my family will be getting together (my older brothers live in different parts of the country). I would prefer to tell them in person, but I don't want to spend one of the few times a year that I get to see them stressed out about trying to get a chance to talk to them, which I fear might not even happen as we will all be together most of the time.

I am ready for everyone in my immediate family to know and I feel like if I can tell them over the phone then they will have some time to digest the information before they see me. Also my parents won't have to worry about themselves knowing and my brothers not knowing. I just don't want to make the weekend about me as we only have a few days to spend together.

Any thoughts?

2. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The phone sounds like a great idea! Congratulations on coming out by the way. To make sure the phone call goes swimmingly write down a few key points you want to cover on a notepad so if you get nervous you can look down at them and keep on topic. Good luck!!

3. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congratulations on coming out to your parents. :slight_smile: the phone's a good idea, whatever works for you!

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The phone should work fine if you want to talk to them about it. Or, you might want to write an email, so you can say it just the way you want to, and then follow it up with a phone call, so they have a chance to think about it before you talk to them or see them in person.