1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my sister?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ameryllis, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have a twin sister, and we've always been very close and we usually tell EVERYTHING to each other. I'm almost certain that she knows I'm gay (with a touch of bi), and I'm pretty sure she is too, though I still can't find the words to come out to her.

I have a HUGE crush on my friend (her friend too), and naturally I talk about her a lot. Even to the point where my sister calls me out on it, and tells me to stop obsessing over her. When I talk about her, I try to make it seem as if I don't have a crush on her; I just mention things she's said to me, or posts that she's made on her social media. To be honest, I think my sister might even like her too, though I'm not sure. (I'm pretty certain she's not straight, because when we were younger we would have conversations like, "if you were a boy, who would you like?" xD yup..)

Anyway, so even though my sister prooobbably knows I'm not straight, I still can't find a way to tell her. I feel like if I text her, it's too sudden. I've hinted at her, by talking about gay people in our school and mentioning how our friend (aka my crush) is bi, and by talking about marathoning gay youtubers, but she's obviously either too polite or feels it's too invasive to ask about my sexuality. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, any experiences with coming out to close siblings, and how to go about doing it? :3
    Thanks for reading this super long post! :eusa_clap

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Well if you don't want to come out suddenly like you said, the only way around that is dropping hints which you already seem to have done. You could try dropping bigger hints if you'd like. For example, if you have celebrity crushes who are girls you could mention it or say "Oo I that actress is hot (or pretty)" or something to that affect.
    If that isn't working or you just want to get it over with, the only thing you really can do is tell her. It's normal to be really nervous about coming out, especially with people you're close to since you feel like they know so much about you that revealing something like that will shock them. But it seems like she'll be very accepting so just remember that going into it. Honestly once you tell her, you'll probably just be so happy to have it over with and wonder why it was so hard before. That's how it felt with telling my best friend (we're super close, plus she's bi and also one of the most accepting people I know, but I was still scared for some reason!)

When you're alone, you could just say "Hey can I tell you something? I'm not sure if you already know this but I'm gay (and bi-ish)" Something like that. It'll feel awkward probably but sometimes you just gotta get the awkward part over with:slight_smile:
    Or you could tell her in a slightly less direct way by saying you have a crush on this friend.
    If you'd rather not do it in person, text would be okay, or email, or a phone call, or even a letter. Or maybe you could text her saying you want to tell her something later. Whatever works for you.

Basically just tell her at this point since you've already been dropping hints. You've given her a chance to pick up on the hints, so now there's nothing left to do but tell her. Don't stress about it too much. You're probably worrying about it more than is necessary (which is totally normal obviously) and I'm sure once it's all said and done, no matter how you tell her, you're going to feel relieved. I wish you the best of luck and I hope it goes well, actually I know it'll go well. You got this girl!:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

3. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you! :slight_smile: Yeah, I'm sure it will go okay if I tell her, but it's so hard to get the words out! D: I'm hoping I can just casually drop the bomb in the midst of a conversation or something, like I've come sooo close to doing before!

4. sappho06

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's difficult, but I think you should just go for it and tell her. I'm really close to my sister, and during a conversation about one of her gay friends, I just said that there was something I wanted to tell her. She obviously knew what I was about to say, and after some hesitation I jist said "I'm not straight. In fact I had a crush on your friend" and she was like "what? I have a crush on her!". So yeah, that's how my sister and I came out to each other. Honestly, for me it felt so much better to come out to her, and it made us even closer. So like I said, it's difficult, but chamces are that your sister might also have something to tell you (I'm not saying that in every case the two siblings are gay, but it does happen quit often, particurlary in twins, so I've read). Just go for it! Or do like I do when coming out, panick then blurt it out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Keep us updated :slight_smile:

5. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you! :3 Yeah I'm hoping to just blurt it out one day, or just throw off a massive hint. xD