1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i come out to my familly?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jrmz, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Jrmz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hy, im a 16 year old guy and i am Bisexual, i have already came out to a few friends and all of them exept a friend i fell in love with took it very well, but i still havent figured out how to come out to my mom and dad, i dont know how they will take it, they are not against but also not in favor of gay pepole, so i sont know how they will react to me being Bi.

If you have came out to your parents; could you give me advice on how to do it?.

2. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It sounds like you've tested the waters on their reaction to gay people. Another thing to think about is a back up plan in case things do go South. If you're able to get a job or a place to stay? Maybe some friends?

Once you've got that sorted, you should also think about the right timing. You want your parents to be relaxed and have time to think things through. Ask if they have time to sit down and talk to you. Then when you're both feeling kinda relaxed and comfortable you can let them know.

Also when doing so, try to keep your cool. Don't raise your voice or get aggressive, it'll only make the situation more tense. Try to react as calm and slowly as possible to their questions or suggestions, give yourself time to form a proper answer, it'll also help you keep your cool.

3. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depending on your parent's personality, telling them soon might not be a good idea. I know my mom will freak out. As Ariseta said, have a backup plan first in case things go wrong. Worst come worst, your parents may kick you out of the house.

Sit your parents down, and let them know you have something important to tell them. For me, if I don't, they'll be on their phones. Make them listen. Don't overreact if they reject the idea of you being bi-instead, try to calm them down if they overreact. Keeping calm is key, and so is making them listen. If they aren't listening to you, wait until they do. And tell them both at the same time-telling them at the same time is probably letting them know through each other. Plus you'll get to explain things easier.

Another way is by dropping subtle hints before you actually tell them? This way you won't be dropping an entire bomb on them. Hopefully they notice, and when you do tell them, they can add 2 and 2. It's less of a shock, and an easier transition. But one idea that you may need to emphasize is that even though you're bi, nothing changes about you.

Good luck in telling them!