1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does it feel to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fivestar, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Fivestar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recently came out to a few people but I am not feeling the relief that so many people talk about. I still feel a little anxious about it and don't know why. I am sure I'm gay and am comfortable with it, but I'm not feeling that euphoria that so many people feel after coming out. Is this normal?

2. TizianoBae

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out, I just felt happy and it is perfectly normal to feel anxious after coming out, I hope that when you tell more people, you'll feel that euphoria, are you happy that you came out to them?

3. Fivestar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I guess I just don't know what to think

4. MetalRice

For me, it was a anxious and scary experience that felt like pulling off a band-aid from a wound, it wasn't fun to do; but it ahd to be done.

5. dcfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    it was terrifying, but amazing. it was over a long dinner at a nice restaurant. I literally felt my outlook on life change for the better as the evening went on.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2015 at 01:03 AM ----------

that said, anxious is a normal response. i felt anxious in the days that followed. but i never regretted coming out, because i knew i had made the right decision for the right reasons.

you have too, and remember that when you feel anxious.

6. Chrisr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I came out to close friends, I was really happy.
    However, I'm not fully out to all of my friends because I can't work up the courage to tell the really religious ones. Really don't know how they'll react. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

When I've told everyone and it's all over and done with--regardless of how it is received--I feel like it will be a relief.

7. QuecksilverEyes

I felt relieved, mostly, but also a little anxious for the first few minutes - until my father began to joke around with me and made me feel comfortable.

8. Lyana

I really wouldn't say I felt euphoria. With some people, I felt a little awkward at first, wondering if I'd made too much of a big deal out of it. But in the long run, I felt completely comfortable, and it's nice to look at someone and know they don't give a damn.

Anything you feel is nothing to be concerned about, Fivestar. We're all human, and our experiences are all going to be different. As long as you don't feel completely awful about coming out, I wouldn't worry too much.

9. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

For most people, they've had to hide their sexualities for a long time/or they're just finding themselves and feelings of anxiety, confusion, shame/embarrassment, and stress may build up so that by the time they do come out, it's letting go of a ton of negative emotions and replacing it with relief & euphoria.

In your case, maybe it's because you are so comfortable with your sexuality already that coming out was just a final step moreso than a huge change. You know who you are and regardless of who you come out to, you won't hide yourself away. And I think being anxious after coming out but not knowing why is normal. Perhaps a part of you is still over-analysing your coming out and wondering if it was the right thing to do but overall, you know it was so it doesn't worry you as much.

[To answer your question: My coming out was a mix of a huge sense of euphoria at first and then gradually, it went away. I still felt anxious but it was overruled by my own sense of rightness at what I was doing. :slight_smile:]

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first few times I came out to people, I was nervous and awkward about it, and I worried they wouldn't see me the same ever again. I was happy I'd gotten it done with, but I was also scared.

Once I stopped freaking out, I was relieved. Since then, all my coming-outs have been casual. For a while, I would find myself shaking a little, but now, I don't even have that problem anymore. It's no longer a big deal.

11. TheSeeker

I think sometimes the more repressed (both in your own mind and by others) you were, the greater the sense of relief. For me, it was almost a physical relief because I hadn't previously realized the sheer amount of effort and psychic pain that I was enduring to stay closeted. When I accepted myself for who I was and then finally began to tell people, the relief was insane.

12. Romin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, some people were more of a relief than others.

Sometimes, after that conversation, I'd be on a euphoric high. But other times, I'd have a really jittery, uncertain feel to everything about me.

I think in my experience, it was just the idea that those people were more/less trustworthy and "wow, this could get around to people that I care about that don't know and wouldn't be happy about it" type of thing.

The more people you tell, the better it'll get. But don't rush. Everything will come in time. Only do it when you're ready for it.

Now that I'm completely out, all that anxiety has vanished. Because I no longer care who knows.

Good luck, my friend :slight_smile:

13. gamergirl99

Before coming out to my friends, I was tense and nervous (don't forget sweating!XD). It took me a while to actually say the 3 words. When I did, all of my friends accepted me :slight_smile: I felt so happy, I could cry and shout on the top of my lungs. I felt full of pride and I really felt like myself! It was amazing...

However, coming out to my mom was difficult. I was sweating, my heart was beating so fast, it was scary to be honest. Coming out to my friends were a lot easier since they all do support any kind of sexuality. (I'm sure.)

About you, just relax. Breathe in and out. :slight_smile: It can be scary at first, but make sure you come out when you feel ready. It took me around 4 months (or more) to become ready to come out to my mom. I promise you'll be fine and remember to be proud of who you are! ^_^

#13 gamergirl99, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  14. DeadheadPride

It just felt so freeing. Right before it, I was sweating, anxious, and a wreck. But when the words were spoken, or read in my sake, it just felt so freeing. I could finally be me and be happy. It's perfectly fine to be anxious, even after coming out. When I first came out to friends, I was anxious. My brain kept thinking "What if they tell people?" or "What if they get mad?" and all of that. You'll be fine, and be proud of your sexuality! If someone doesn't support you, it's not your issue, it's theirs! Own it! :icon_bigg

#14 DeadheadPride, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  15. 50ishandout

Like the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulder.

16. Nick1020

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more you come out, the more the anxiety turns to a feeling of excitement and liberation.