1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a point?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ebda30, Aug 29, 2015.

1. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm bisexual. Possibly pansexual.

My husband and sister know, but for all intents and purposes, i'm less than open about my sexuality. I very much feel like I hide it from certain people. Especially my religious friends who assume i'm hetero and say things about the lgbtq community, I get uncomfortable add hell, but don't speak up as I feel its a bit of a cop out, or idk, like how easy for me to be bisexual and in a hetero relationship. Not to mention the last time I "outed" myself to a friend, she assumed its because I wanted a relationship with her...even tho at the time I had been married for 5yrs

So in a way, I don't feel I have a right to say i'm bisexual, even tho I KNOW I am, because i'm not outwardly living like a bisexual, does that make ANY sense?

I'm just now realizing I am also some,kind of genderqueer, which its opening a whole new "what's the point?" Thought process. Even on my most masculine days, I still look like a 12yo tomboy.

I feel old to be figuring this out, and an not sure what its suppose to happen, what to do, etc?

#1 ebda30, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  2. Lyana

What is "outwardly living like a bisexual"? Does one have to have a boyfriend and a girlfriend, each of whom one spends exactly the same amount of time with?

It doesn't matter what you "live like." If you know you are bisexual, you are, and you have a right to say you are. Single straight people are still straight. Gay people who are married to the opposite sex are still gay. Your "living the straight life" is basically being closeted, and while there's no requirement for you to come out if you don't want to, please don't let other people stop you from doing so.

It's okay to be afraid of speaking up when your religious friends are less than kind about LGBT+ people. But if it's something you want to do... With many people, you can't change their views, but you might make them think twice about saying hurtful things where the target of their views might hear them. You don't have to be bisexual to speak up for the community -- a lot of people are straight allies, so you wouldn't necessarily have to come out if you're not comfortable doing so.

Plenty of people figure themselves out when they're as "old" as you are. Don't let that hold you back.

3. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people

I guess I meant, being open about it, those of my friends and my family who are bisexual, everyone knows it, because they tell everyone and they post things about it on their social media accounts, etc. my sister does in fact, tend to keep a boyfriend and girlfriend. she's in an open relationship, and her girlfriend is married to a man, but knows about my sister.

Oh, I definitelspeak up on the bullshit of what they were saying, I just don't say, ad my sexuality into the conversation when we discuss LGBTQ. two subjects im very, uh passionate about are religion and human rights, put them together its gonna be a lengthy conversation.

I guess I do the same with my religious views, don't openly tell people i'm atheist when they are going on and on about pursuing to God.

Do people come out with their gender identity? those that don't go thru a transition, etc?