1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Conversation with the Trevor Project

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ilovesg, Aug 30, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I texted the Trevor Project a couple days ago because I am having trouble coming out to my sister. Basically I want her to be the first one in my family to know because we are so close and I feel like she deserves to know first. I sort of have a deadline though because my first meeting with the LGBT club at my school is coming up in a week and I need my mom to drive me there. So, my mom will probably ask questions about that and I don't want to end up telling my mom before my sister. The girl who I talked to at the Trevor Project told me I don't need to come out to my sister and I shouldn't follow a deadline, but I want to come out. I want to do it soon. I don't think she really understood how tired I am of being in the closet. So my problem is, do I come out to my sister as soon as possible? I wrote her a letter but I am worried email is too impersonal and maybe she deserves for me to tell her in person. I go to her house a lot so I could do that. I'm just not sure what to do. I could lie to my mom about what I am doing at school but like I said I am sick of lying.

2. QuecksilverEyes

If you really do want to come out and you feel ready, I'd say go for it. If you want to tell your sister first and you have the opportunity to do it face to face, I'd recommend you tell her rather than writing a letter (it also depends on how you think she will react)
    Good luck (*hug*)

3. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest you talk to your sister face to face. That's what I did with mine. Face to face makes it easier for people to communicate, especially in serious situations. Sit her down, and take as long as you need. Tell her you need to tell her something important. There shouldn't be a deadline-as long as you do it in your own pace, everything will work out slowly.

As for your mom, if you don't want to come out to her before your sister, don't. You may be sick of lying, but if you wanna come out to your sis first, go ahead. But if you're going to come out to your mom too, sit her down first. Let her know you need to talk to her for a while.

Good luck, kay?

4. Really

You could combine methods. Give her the letter in person and ask her to read it while you're there so you can talk about it afterwards if you like.

5. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Combining methods is a good way to do it. I think I will try to tell her in person, but if I feel like I am not explaining myself well, I will give her the letter. I hope I can get myself to actually do it lol. I am not very good at conversation but I guess we will see. Thanks for the help!