1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too young to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AndySammy, Aug 30, 2015.

1. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I'm trans* male. I'm 100% sure, and I know this is who I am, who I'm supposed to be, and I want others to know, but there's one problem.
    I'm 13.
    For some it might not seem like a problem, but it really is. Is it too early to know if you're trans? For me, it's not. But others may think it's a phase, that I'm just some stupid young teenager.
    So would it be a good idea to come out? I really want to come out to my dad, whom I know is really supportive of the LGBTQA+ community and especially trans* people. But would people think I'm too young? Would you guys think I'm too young to know, or to come out?
    Thanks in advance.

2. PokeGleek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Heck no. You're not too young. There are kids as young as 6 and 5 that know that they are not in the correct body because it doesn't feel right to them.

If you know your parents are going to be accepting, the I reccomend that you do come out to them. Hope everything goes well :slight_smile:

3. gamergirl99

No way, you're not too young. :slight_smile: My cousin always knew he was gay ever since he was 5! It's insane... I didn't know if I was gay or not back then but when I thought about it, I did have feelings for girls when I was small even if I didn't know what those feelings were (at a small age).

Come out when you feel ready. Since your dad is supportive, (which is great!) that's a good start. I really hope you'll be able to come out whenever to your dad and I hope it goes well. :slight_smile: Good luck!

4. MetalRice

Your not too young, do it when you feel ready and comfortable; age shouldn't factor into it unless you have to wait until you move out (which you appear not to)

5. DeadheadPride

No, you're never to young! When you're 100% sure, you have been for a while, and you're comfortable with both the idea of coming out and accepting yourself, then its perfectly fine! I'm 13 and out, and the only people who said that it's just a phase were my homophobic (Until I came out) grandparents, who told me "Not to label myself because I'm so young and still thinking about this stuff". As long as you don't have anyone who is homophobic in your life, I don't think anyone will say that! I hope all goes well, and that my advice helped at least a little!

6. EWMK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are 13 and your age is not your problem especially you live in a supportive country. A famous dancer in my country even came out when he was 3 years old, he lived in Canada when he came out. And, by the way, I'm 14, male trans too

7. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

Thank you for all the answers! I think I may go through with it and just come out :slight_smile:

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, go for it dude!

9. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out when I was 13 too

10. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

So, I decided I'm coming out tomorrow. Then I'll see if my dad thinks I'm too young :slight_smile:

11. YinYang

I really don't think 13 is too young to figure out who you are. I hope your dad accepts you for who you are (*hug*) Good luck!

12. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

Thank you! (*hug*)

13. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I came out. Thanks for the support everybody :slight_smile: