1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, how is this gonna go down?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bunny, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Bunny

Right, it's officially the new year. My first resolution - come out to the family.

But how does one come out as being trans? It's not just who you love, it's who you are. How do you explain something like that to your parents? (Especially when they know nothing about that sort of thing)

Anyone with past experience willing to give me some pointers?

2. summersforecast

I really am inexperienced obviously but what about writing a letter to them? That way you don't get toung tied and you can really get down on paper how you feel.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Given that your parents might have very little knowledge about transsexuality, it is important that YOU educate them. Before you come out to them, educate YOURSELF about what it entails and what it means. The more you know the better you will be able to explain to them the changes that you will go through, the hormones therapy/operations, the support that you will need from them but also from others, the support you have in place (such as a counselor, members of a GLBT group for example who have gone through this), and that you are doing this because you ALWAYS felt that this is who you are and that this feeling is not going away. You need to tell them in no uncertain terms that you have done your homework on it and that you are absolutely sure about this.

It is also very important that you let them know that although your appearance will change your personality and what makes you, will not change. In many ways you will still be the same person. It is vital that you are absolutely honest with them about what lies ahead.

If you have not talked with a counselor and other transsexuals who have gone through what you are going to be going through, I would urge you to do so before coming out to your parents.

Also, I would suggest that you build a strong support network. You will need that support network. Your support network could and should include close friends, a counselor, and members of a LGBT group who identify or are transsexuals.

I hope this helps!