1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Acuba403, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Acuba403

Hi, I'm transgender (MTF) and I want to come out to my parents but based on reactions to the news and media recently I believe that if I do they wont react well. I don't want to hide who I am any more. I need help, any advice?

2. PossumJack

Do you know what your parents in particular think of the LGBT community? One way to "test the waters" is to bring up something from the news about the transgender community in a conversation and seeing what their opinions are.

3. Acuba403

I've done that before sense pride is coming up here, and my mother seem really irritated, but my father was down right discussed, and almost hostile when it came up. I think he might become violent if i tell him.

4. PossumJack

I'm sorry to hear that, Acuba :icon_sad:

If you have reason to suspect a parent might react violently and/or kick you out of the house, then it's best to wait until you are living on your own and financially independent. I know it's really, really hard, but the most important thing to consider is your own safety in the long term.

Have you come out to any of your friends? Before I came out to my parents, getting support from my friends definitely helped a lot and made the day easier to go through.

5. Acuba403

I have come out to is my Girlfriend who is completely supportive of me and accepts who I am, and another Trans friend that I met not to long ago. Other than them no one knows.

6. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

I'd say don't come out to them yet. Wait until you have your own place and financial stability. At least I'm not gonna do it (if i do) until then.

7. Acuba403

That's probably the best bet, it's not ideal but it's the safest